Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

ANNOYING FRONT END SQUEAKS

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Default ANNOYING FRONT END SQUEAKS

Ok, I'm a newbie here, but been browsing the forums, and from what I could tell, looks and sounds like an excellent site with a lot of great info.
Now for my question : We just bought our C5, 1998 convertible, Torch Red with about 37,000 miles.
What is with this annoying front end squeaks, of course I notice it more driving through town, and I wonder if the people next to me can hear me coming, ok I guess it's not that loud but inside it sure sounds loud.
Could it be the sway bar bushings, i have read where the factory ones make some noise.
Any help and advice would be appreciated, Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/2979/8E00EEAE270C4300A7077F87AFD30216.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Default RE: ANNOYING FRONT END SQUEAKS

Beautiful car, my friend, and welcome to the forums!! Unfortunately I know nothing about your query here, and will now step aside for one of our experts to jump in...

Old 08-16-2006, 04:39 PM

It could be the sway bars, but it might be the struts, or something else. Given the car is new to you, but used, I'd have it checked out, and have the mechanic look over everything else carefully, too. 37K miles is a bit early for struts to give out, but unwanted noise in a car is like pain in your body -- a signal that something isn't quite right, and that unless you attend to it it will get worse.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

This is what I would try, grease all front zerts. If prob persists, get down with your head to each side, and have a bud press down on each side, (of the front of the car, not your head, LOL), and see if you can locate the squeak. I have a stethascope (sp) that I use to locate various noises. You can check each bushing independantly. You can listen to all kindsa stuff with one, water pumps, valve trains, altinators, dist., etc. while the engine is running. After using one a few times you get to where you can tell if there are unusual sounds. Hope this helps!

Old 08-16-2006, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

OH YA, I didn't really answer your question. Poly bushings may help. The prob is that dust gets into the bushings and causes the squeak. You might try using your finger to apply a ring of grease (don't blob it on, a thin ring should do) around where the shaft goes through the bushing and where the bushing is mounted, to help seal it and keep the dust out.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the replies
This may sounds stupid, but I just got through putting the car on ramps, checking the front end, WHERE are the zerks?
Now i must have looked for 20 minutes, and I could be missing them, but I don't see any. LOL

Old 08-16-2006, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Check your tie-rod ends, upper and lower ball joints. Look everywhere that your steering has movement. You may need to use a rag and wipe things off in order to see them. They should be cleaned off anyway before you connect your grease gun to them.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:35 PM

I agree with everything here, but I would still suggest you (if you know what to look for), or a professional mechanic put the car on the lift and check everything carefully, suspiciously. The car is 9-ish years old, even if it does have only about 3-years of miles on it (37K is a find!). Nine years hardens poly seals and causes leaks in fittings, etc. -- best to find them now. Nine year old struts sometimes start to go bad.Better to find the trouble now before if finds you. Do all of the above, but check everything major, too.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:51 PM

I agree, and thanks I will look at it closer and take it to the dealer here in town.

As for the zerks, well it's pretty clean under there, and I swear there is none!

Old 08-17-2006, 03:31 PM

Just to be sure, I got under the front end again, There is No Grease Fittings.
I don't even see any areas where they could be put? So what gives here?

Quick Reply: ANNOYING FRONT END SQUEAKS