Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

C4 or C5

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Default C4 or C5

Greetings All,

Brand new member hear seeking advice and opinions from corvette enthusiasts (guys who really know corvettes). The only Corvette I have ever owned was a 1970 convertible 350 back in 1980; powerhouse, head turner, and chick magnet! Now, much older and more conservative (not too much, looking to purchase my second Corvette. LOL), my top priority is reliability and maintenance cost first, sex appeal second, performance and power/speed third. My price range is $15,000-$20,000; so I'm looking at C4's and C5's (1986-1998). I've been able to locate numerouos low milage cars (21,000-55,000 miles). For vehicles that are 8-20 years old all seem very reasonable.

I have read many reviews mostly good, some bad...Through my research I couldn't find any bad reviews on the 1995 with exception of "cheap" plastic interior. The next with the most positive reviews was the 1998 Corvette; with only a few bad reviews (electrical problems and "cheap" interiors).

Let me preface my question by saying I think all Corvettes are true works of art and muscle/sport cars extrordinair! Also, no offense intended to owners of other Corvette vintages.

I am looking at (3) 1995's; (2) coupes and (1) convetible. With 23,000 miles, 30,650 miles, 49,225 miles respectively. Next, (4) 1996's; (2) coupes and (2) convertibles. With 42,378 miles, 42,500 miles, 46,500 miles, and 46,700 miles respectively. Last but not least a 1998 coupe including both tops and automatic transmission with 55,450 miles.

With the 1996's the coupe with 42,500 miles has the LT4 with manual transmission, all other 1996's and 1995's all have the smaller engine with automatic transmissions (except the '95 with 30,650 miles has a manual transmission).

Once again keeping in mind that my top priority is dependability/reliability and low maintenance cost, if all are in excellent condition which should I purchase?

Or, if possible list them in order 1-8, 1 being the best choice in meeting my criteria criteria.

Thanks in advance for any advice and/or suggestions (and I hope everyone doesn't say the 1998 is best since this is the C5 forum),

Jay

Old 11-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Default RE: C4 or C5

First, you have to decide if you want manual or auto trans. Oft times, buyers end up regreting their choice, so decide which: that more than anything defines the day to day "driving experience."

Among the years you are looking at, there is little to chose from among the C4s and C5s, again, options on the car and personal preference for styling are more different that year to year differences. The C5 has the LS engine, somewhat a plus (it is a better engine, period) but a late LT1 or LT4 versus an early LS1? Not really much difference in stock power, durability, maintenance cost, or cost and potential to modify (unless you are going extreme, then the LS1 is much better).

Finally, I would take a C4 in very good condition over a C5 in average condition. Miles are important, that 23,000 mile car might be a good deal (but its an auto-trans, right, make sure you really want one). The LT4 is worth something, but you can buy the upgrades and/or even more power for about $1500, so not too much.

Assuming they are all the same price and the transmission, colors, and styling make no substantial difference to you, and given particularly the importance of reliability and maintenance to you, I would prioritize them in order of mileage, 23K first to the 55k mile one last. The former has so few miles that it is not yet at a stage where it should need anything due to wear (I would replace and belts, hoses, etc., due to age alone, however, and the tires if original -- rubber hardens after about eight years), while the latter is at a point where it will need alterators, power steering and various "I'm worn out" pieces in the near future.

As to the interiors, all vettes have cheap interiors. Its just something annoying you have to get past to enjoy them.

And, truthfully, they are not really works of art, just damn good cars for the price. Live with one a while and you will realize that.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:18 PM

Well wecolme to the fun world of corvette fever! i'll get right to the point,lee's the expert everything
he said makes sense. i've had both a 95 and a 97 which i own know. both were and still are solid cars.
for me it just came down to the styling of the c5 body style. this thing turns more heads than pamela anderson!!
anyway good hunting and good luck on your choice.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:01 PM

I just went from a 1986 to a 2003, I had the 86 for 10 years, loved it, (I sold it to my best friend, his first vette). I agree with Lee don't compare apples to oranges as far as trannies and price, but I enjoy the power of the C5 much more than the C4. It will remind you of your 1970 vette performance wise (probably faster). Also, and most importantly evaluate the price, mileage, and which car you like color, convertable, etc. PS I'm getting a little tired of "bad interior" crap about vettes, what's so bad about it? Ok, the cup holder is crap, I don't drink in my car anyways.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:46 PM

I think the interior thing is overblown, and a bit unfair. People compare the interior of a vette to that in other $50K cars, such as the interior of a $50,000 Lexus and note it falls far short in quality, and there is little doubt that it does. Yet the Lexus doesn't perform like a 'vette. Simply put, the money in a vette goes for Ferrari performance with Chevrolet build quality (good but not great).

It is worth noting that you can buy what is essentially a 'vette with a fantastic quality interior. Its the Cadillac XLR-V, essentially a C6 with a blown 4.6 liter V8 (469 HP) edgy styling (I like it) and a really great quality interior (really good quality) and a retractable hardtop, too. Performance is on par with the C6 (it has more power but weighs more, too). Base price is $99,600 and some change, but you get what you pay for . . . .

Old 11-15-2006, 10:46 PM

I think the interior thing is overblown, and a bit unfair. People compare the interior of a vette to that in other $50K cars, such as the interior of a $50,000 Lexus and note it falls far short in quality, and there is little doubt that it does. Yet the Lexus doesn't perform like a 'vette. Simply put, the money in a vette goes for Ferrari performance with Chevrolet build quality (good but not great).

It is worth noting that you can buy what is essentially a 'vette with a fantastic quality interior. Its the Cadillac XLR-V, essentially a C6 with a blown 4.6 liter V8 (469 HP) edgy styling (I like it) and a really great quality interior (really good quality) and a retractable hardtop, too. Performance is on par with the C6 (it has more power but weighs more, too). Base price is $99,600 and some change, but you get what you pay for . . . .

Old 11-15-2006, 10:47 PM

Old 11-16-2006, 12:05 AM

3 posts lee lol Sorry had to post it!

Old 11-16-2006, 12:39 PM

c5>c4 period!

Old 11-16-2006, 08:41 PM

ORIGINAL: chargedvette02

3 posts lee lol Sorry had to post it!
Yeah, this forum acts up at times. It would not post my message the first two times I clicked. the third time is showed me one, and then later on I noticed it had posted all three. Weird stuff.