Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

C5 airconditioning compressor removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 01:54 PM
bsc
Default C5 airconditioning compressor removal

Does anyone have any information on how to remove and replace the airconditioning compressor on a 1998 C5? It looks easy to unbolt but getting it out of the engine bay looks very tight. Is there anything else which needs to be removed in order to take out the compressor and change it? Is this a big job?Any help/suggestions would be appreciated! If anyone has any information that they could e-mail to me privately I would be extremely grateful.
Thanks in advance!

Barry

Old 10-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Default RE: C5 airconditioning compressor removal

Hello Barry,

I have done some research and have obtained some information on how to Remove/ Replace the AC Compressor on a C5. If you send me a fax number I can send you a fax copy of what I have. It’s not much but a start.

It appears to be simple but with Corvettes, you just never know.

Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the drive belts. Discharge the AC system, using approved refrigerant recovery/ recycling equipment. Drain the cooling system. Remove water pump.
Disconnect the compressor electrical leads. Disconnect the refrigerant lines, and plug openings. Remove compressor bolts and compressor. Drain oil from compressor, measure and record the amount of oil drained.
To install, reverse the removal procedure. Add the same amount of refrigerant oil to as was drained. If compressor is replaced, drain oil from new compressor and add the same amount of oil drained from old compressor. Evacuate and charge AC System. Fill cooling system [/ol]

There maybe some additional steps you will want to take such as when you pull the water pump off replace the water pump gasket and maybe the thermostat too. And there are the serpentine belts. (Around $40 for both at AutoZone for Gatorback’s.) It might be a good idea to replace the coolant and not reuse the old. ($12 a gallon at Wal-Mart for Preston DexCool 50/50 mix) Also, depending on how bad the compressor is damaged, you may have to replace the AC condenser. You really won’t know that until the system is evacuated and the refrigerant that was pulled out is checked.

One of the most important keys is the system is evacuation and recharge and using the proper weight and amount of refrigerant oil. PAG oil is the only oil you can use. But you can by it at AutoZone or other common parts suppliers for around $10 to $15 dollars, maybe less.

Now for a shameless plug. I am replacing the compressor on my 2001 Corvette. I purchased all my parts from Parts Lady off EBay. They are located in the SE United States and if you go into EBay, search for Corvette 1997 – 2004 AC Compressors and look through the listing you will find them. I purchased ALL my parts from them and save almost 50% on the cost of the parts vs. the list price of the retail list cost of a Compressor. And have a new GM / Delphi Compressor.

Good luck
Larry W. (01ragtop)

Old 10-28-2008, 03:05 PM
bsc
Default RE: C5 airconditioning compressor removal

Thanks for taking the time to investigate and reply. I'm sure it will be useful for other people too.

Barry