Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

cam, rockers, intake manifold, heads and headers, ????

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Default cam, rockers, intake manifold, heads and headers, ????

ok I have an 02 Z06 and would like to have a plan to add a few mods so that they will come together once they are all purchased. I would like somewhere around 450hp but dont want toloose all the low end torque or loose daily driveability or have terrible gas mileage, maybe i am asking for too much. Basically Ineed advice on a what specs amild cam and rocker combo would be and also what kind of head and headers would work together.I know what some good brands are but not sure of what brands i should stayaway from.I was going to get Dynatech headers (13/4 or 17/8)? possibly MTICAM and HEADS, But i have no idea what type of rockers or ratio?? Thanks for any advice!!!

What i already have:
-borla stinger exhaust
-granatelli MAF
-Halltech stinger intake

What i would like to eventually do, but i dont know what specs to go with
-CAM
-Rockers
-Headers
-Heads
-Intake Manifold
-Tune

Old 11-25-2007, 01:46 AM
Default RE: cam, rockers, intake manifold, heads and headers, ????

your intake manifold should be fine and make sure that you get a streetable cam. MTI is a very good brand but I don't know specs on rockers either sorry.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:43 AM

I'm a "conservative modder." At this point, I'd leave well enough alone. You have a great car now. Why take a chance in ruining it. Remember, for every action there's a reaction. That's been my experience thru the years. If this car is your daily driver, be careful not to do anything that would effect it's reliability.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

You can check with Edelbrock. They can give you some good info on intake, cam, lifter, head, and exhaust combos. I'm not necessarily recommending their products, but they can give you some good numbers to start with.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:05 AM

I have a 98 Coupe and this past winter I did everything you wanted...and I am in love with it all. I did the following mods:

FAST Intake Manifold
Midrange CompCams Camshaft
Dynatech longtube Headers
CnC Ported Trick Flow Heads
CompCams Rockers
Spec Race Clutch
B&M Short Throw shifter

My friend owns a Corvette Performance Shop and he actually took my complete motor w/all of the mods and had his engine builder Dyno the motor alone with a carb. He tested 3 sets of heads and he took what he thought was the best performance for what I was looking for. Then he spent a good 3 hours with my car on his Dynojet dyno and my car hit 420rwhp with 420tq. My car stock was about 290rwhp since the 97-98 years had a few differences compared to the newer C5's. To give you an idea about how the car is...it sounds amazing, performs like an animal for an all natural car, and drives smooth. I drove it from CT to Carlisle for the Corvettes of Carlisle this year and I went w/a few other guys and we took it easy...I got 30 MPG b/c I had it in 6th gear most of the trip. 30 MPG on a 500+ HP tuned car is amazing and unheard of...but the LS motors are just that, amazing. By the way, my car was at the track this year and it hit 11.8 on street tires and on pump gas......some Mickey Thompsons and race fuel & tune, watch out!

I hope that this helped but doing what you want is a great investment and it is something that just "wakes up" your car....