Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

horsepower dilema, cam ,heads, headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Default horsepower dilema, cam ,heads, headers

scheduled and appointment to take my car in to have a stage 2 package installed. details: cam, heads port and polished, lifters, push rods, springs,headers,high flow cats. when i made the appointment i was very anxious to get the work done. now after takeing my car out storage and driving it today, i am not 100% sure.
these mods will give me approx 430rwhp, 500hp at the engine approx, wich is exactly what i want. what i will loose is how smooth the car feels, no vibration. from what i gather is with this horepower and agressive cam the car will vibrate and not feel like a luctury sports car, the headers will vibrate the **** out off the car when i take off. if i dont put the headers and cats on i will loose abot 30-40 rwhp. i already have a corsa indy exhaust and like how smooth it is. i will love the horsepower and the agressive cam sound at idle but am unsure about how the vibration will be.
some feedback on who has done this would be great. how bad does it vibrate with headers and cats, also if i dont install them i wont have the lovely sound of the cam.

lets hear some opinions, should i do it or not

Old 04-17-2006, 03:01 PM
Default RE: horsepower dilema, cam ,heads, headers

it depends on your attitude toward driving, in the end.... the corvette is not a luxury sports car... a mercedes sl-class or bmw 6-series is a luxury sports car. the vette is a watered down racing machine. if you like grand touring or cruising then leave it as is or do only minor modifications. if you're like me, and you need the speed-thrill to make sure you're still alive...... well, i'm sure you see what i'm getting at....

i mean, c'mon.... with a $50,000 price tag (new) you weren't going to get the best of both worlds... while the vette is not a hard car to live with, check out one of the above-mentioned cars (or similar) and then look again at your vette....

and then shut up and bump up the power.

g'luck with the decision..... in the end, do what makes you happy.

edit: i guess i kind of missed the point of your question.... if you're worried about streetability maybe you should look into a turbocharger instead of heavy n/a work. that way when you're off-boost the car is as docile as usual. and all the power you need is just an ankle extension away...

Old 04-17-2006, 03:26 PM

yes your right, i must have had a brain fart, no replacement for displacement. the thrill of the horspower keeps me going. as i like the numbers on the supercharger but the sound of good cam is hard to ignore.

Old 04-17-2006, 09:14 PM

I think you anticipate the wrong things. First, good headers don't vibrate, not good ones anyway. Second, a really aggressive cam will give you a lumpy idle - I guess that is what you mean by vibration, but mostly you lose low end torque, which is what you will notice. All in all, the way to have your cake and eat it too is to go with headers and a stroker kit instead of a really aggressive cam (but you need a bit more cam with the added cubes. You get smooth, low end torque, and lots more power.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:45 PM

im putting kooks headers on with high flow cats, stage 2 cam,, hears a question for ya, how will your dyno results vary with a 393 rear end compared to a stock 343. i know the gear does not change rwhp but how does the computer measure rwhp when sitting on the dyno wheel with different gears.