Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Check out this video!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Default RE: Check out this video!

ORIGINAL: rjensen

Hi Dave,
Okay, here comes the dumb blonde question: "How do you shift an auto tran manually??? Without a clutch, I'm clueless.
Thanks in advance . . . your input is always greatly appreciated.
Rita
No such thing as a dumb question, only dumb answers. When at a light, put your shift lever into the "1" position. Mat the pedal. *big smiles at this point are highly recommended*. Push the shift lever forward and move it into the "2" position when your RPM of choice it hit. This will hold the tranny in 1st gear until you have hit the right RPM. This also works the other way; say you're in 3rd or whathaveyou and you are coming up on a twisty section you'd rather be in 2nd for, to have the RPM right in the sweet spot in the power band so when you drop the hammer, the beast let's loose. Slide your shift lever into the "2" position, and you will sing around that corner in 2nd.

Beware. These cars rev VERY fast, and driving it up in the power band WILL result in 1) massive acceleration, 2) big smiles all 'round.

I hope this answers your question, rjensen, but don't hesitate to raise your arm if you need clarification or have a followup...

Old 08-03-2006, 10:23 PM

Hey, TopSpeed -
Thanks so much for this explanation. My other ride is a Toyota 4Runner and I can tell you from experience, this kind of shifting doesn't work in a 4Runner. I know, ever since one of my dogs smelled a bird and came flying over from the backseat to the frontseat and inadvertently hit the stick and shifted gears [] That was not a good day.

Thanks again. I think I'm still a little leery of trying this in my Vette.

Take care.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:43 PM

Great vid

Old 08-04-2006, 01:45 AM

ORIGINAL: TopSpeed

ORIGINAL: rjensen

Hi Dave,
Okay, here comes the dumb blonde question: "How do you shift an auto tran manually??? Without a clutch, I'm clueless.
Thanks in advance . . . your input is always greatly appreciated.
Rita
No such thing as a dumb question, only dumb answers. When at a light, put your shift lever into the "1" position. Mat the pedal. *big smiles at this point are highly recommended*. Push the shift lever forward and move it into the "2" position when your RPM of choice it hit. This will hold the tranny in 1st gear until you have hit the right RPM. This also works the other way; say you're in 3rd or whathaveyou and you are coming up on a twisty section you'd rather be in 2nd for, to have the RPM right in the sweet spot in the power band so when you drop the hammer, the beast let's loose. Slide your shift lever into the "2" position, and you will sing around that corner in 2nd.

Beware. These cars rev VERY fast, and driving it up in the power band WILL result in 1) massive acceleration, 2) big smiles all 'round.

I hope this answers your question, rjensen, but don't hesitate to raise your arm if you need clarification or have a followup...

I couldn't have said it better!

Old 08-05-2006, 04:12 PM

Top Speed,

what's the safest way to wind down the speed after you've done this manuever with the auto tranny? Do I just stick it in "D" Drive? Do I just slam on the breaks? I take it that after reaching 3rd gear I'll be going pretty fast. Your advice?