Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Chicago land area winter storage / storage tips

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 11:23 PM
Default Chicago land area winter storage / storage tips

Anyone know of any places in the Chicagoland area where I can store my Corvette and my father's car over the winter? Last year we stored my father's car in one of those public storage places, which worked okay, but I didn't like the fact that it wasn't climate controlled. But more importantly, we noticed every time we went to go check on the car, there would be a lot of condensation all over the vehicle. This can't be good for the car to have constant moisture on it like that. My friend did the same thing with his Z06 and told me about how badly his rotors were rusted and it took a good amount of driving for the pulsations to finally go away.

I've heard rumors that the fiber glass can crack if it gets very cold (which it does in Illinois, temps dropped to -55F last year). Is this just a rumor or is this actually possible? Would storing in a non climate controlled garage be a bad idea?

I know summer tires aren't supposed to get below freezing as it can ruin the tire. Will the tires be okay in a non heated garage?

I plan on using fuel stabilizer, a battery tender, and inflating the tires to max PSI to reduce the chance of flat spots forming. Car will be in storage for probably 5 months. Anything else I should do?

Old 10-19-2019, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Were you starting the car when you went to check on it in the winter time? If you were, that would be a major contribution to the excess moisture in the storage area.