Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Common Problems??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Default Common Problems??

Hey Guys,
Iam a proudnew owner of a1997 C5, and am wondering what kind of common problems (if any)are associated with these cars? For example, I have an acrylic top, and I heard that these may peel or have other problemsover time... Are there any other common problems that I have to look out for? I really want to take care of this car, and just want to know which portions of the car will require extra attention .
Thanks.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Default RE: Common Problems??

I'v only had my 97 about 3 weeks my Acylic topwas inbad shape when I bought it, so watch that for sure. I had to replace my passenger door window motor and I can tell drivers door will be next. My carpet is faded some due to sun. Over all everything else is still in good shape. I wanted a bit of a project car so this does give me some things to work on. Good luck with yours.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Default RE: Common Problems??

welcome to the forum Gforce, by no means am I an expert on the matter but there are a few things that come to mind.... fuel gauge sending units fail, batterys tended to leak acid below the tray and corrode the frame, steering lock will sooner or later not unlock when you start the car and will need a tow to get fixed, multiple water leaks into the interior, electrical problems associated with bad grounds..... there are numerous threads on here that probably go into more than that but these are a start.... anyway I love my C5 FRC and like with any other car has a few problem areas, once you fix them you are good to go