Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Rattles a common problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Default Rattles a common problem?

Over the last week or so I test drove a 95-96 coupe, both had some major rattle noise. Both cars were well taken care of too. Noises were coming from rear and front panels btw.

I was kinda disspointed, I have a 95 Ford Explorer that doesn't have one rattle to this day and I use it offroading.

Another concern I had was the back end jumped around when riding over small or large imperfections of the road. Poor shocks or a common problem?

Thanks

Old 02-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Default RE: Rattles a common problem?

In my experience they are common problems. I call these cars rattle traps. The 90's midels have better suspension than my 85 but they all rattle to some extent. Mine also jumps around when I hit bumps in the road. I have to look past a lot of the imperfections of these cars. I still love any corvette though. Are you looking at buying one? If you are, I would say to do what all of us do, look past the rattles. Your Explorer is not a hard suspension sports car. Totally different. Good luck.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:14 PM

I completely agree with Clayton. The only way to get past the rattles in my experience is to turn on your radio and sing along. I can hear my rattles over almsot every noise that comes from my car, but i am finally driving the car ive wanted since i was a child and so i learned to look past it.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Clayton

In my experience they are common problems. I call these cars rattle traps. The 90's midels have better suspension than my 85 but they all rattle to some extent. Mine also jumps around when I hit bumps in the road. I have to look past a lot of the imperfections of these cars. I still love any corvette though. Are you looking at buying one? If you are, I would say to do what all of us do, look past the rattles. Your Explorer is not a hard suspension sports car. Totally different. Good luck.
Yes Im looking for a mid 90's. I'll tell you Id expected much better from a Vette and it was a big turn off. Now that I know it's a common problem, it's an even bigger turnoff.

Old 02-12-2006, 03:34 PM

The corvette is a piece of racing history, not a bmw. I have had 5 series bimmers that you could run over a dog and not "feel" or hear a noise. You dont buy a corvette for that reason, you buy it for performance, history and looks. Thats just my opinion though. I bet I'm not the only one. If you dont like it, buy a bmw...and I'll see you at the track lol j/k

Old 02-12-2006, 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: tcrote5516

The corvette is a piece of racing history, not a bmw. I have had 5 series bimmers that you could run over a dog and not "feel" or hear a noise. You dont buy a corvette for that reason, you buy it for performance, history and looks. Thats just my opinion though. I bet I'm not the only one. If you dont like it, buy a bmw...and I'll see you at the track lol j/k

hahaha