Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Confused

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Default Confused

I've posted about this code before, 0410. The code seems really random, was gone for a month or so, then the engine light came on after i had already been driving for about an hour the other day, and sure enough, it was this same old code!!! Now, I've researched and read and read as much as I can find. When the car is first started i do hear what sounds like a "humming" from the front of the car. sometimes i can distinctly hear it shut off, other times i can't tell if it shuts off or not. At any rate, once the code reappeared the other day,for the next several days i made a habit of chekcing the codes about twice a day just to see if maybe the code was always there but not triggering the check engine light. To my surprise, the code isNOT always there, which leads me to believe that the issue is somewhat intermittent. Just don't understand why this system would trigger an engine light after i had already been driving an hour, if the system is only supposed to operate for a minute or two upon cold start up anyway? The car runs great, I routinely get it to 100+ mph on the turnpike and such. This stinking random engine light with this crazy code is just annoying! Hate to throw money at it changing every possible part when it sounds more intermitent than a failed part. Anyone got any ideas?

Old 01-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Default RE: Confused

Do you have a lap top? There are lots of software pieces out there that you can connect to your obdII port and see what is going on. I run the software in logging mode when all is operating as it should and save it. then monitor and compare at certain time intervals to see if anything has changed. You will be surprised at the data you can gather. Tuning software is about the size a a new corvette monthly payment. Monitoring software that will let you turn codes on and off is fairly reasonable. I not saying this willhave the savior effect but you will at least have a better understanding of what all those computers are doing and what the codes are thrown for. Check it out! Try OBDII website or hptuners website. Those are just two, lots more to look at.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Default RE: Confused

You haven't identified what the car is year, model, etc., and if you have modified it at all. C5s are sort of bad in that they respond poorly to very transient, intermitant problems with wiring. This often happens because: a) the car gets about ten years old and grounds and connections become a bit corroded and sometimes break connections for just a millisecond, or b) you did some underhood work on the wiring and cut and reconnected ECM and control wiring with crimp on connectors (which generally aren't dependable enough) or by wiring it with twists an such, yourself: equally bad.

Not sure this is your problem.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:54 PM

dang, i did forget to mention the year, etc...! anyway, its a 2001 coupe. the only thing i've done under the hood was tinker with connections under the hood, about a year ago now. I had alot of random guage issues, come to find out it was a loose connector in the passenger door hinge area. took me forever to figure that out.

come to think of it, the only two connectors that i unsnapped and checked for corrosion were the ones behind each headlight. if i remember correctly, they may be grounded here as well? do either of these sound familiar to the air system?

the car is parked and protected for now. got a steady drizzle of ice pelting down here in oklahoma. will have over an inch before it's over, so i won't be getting this car out for a while....