Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

corvette rarity

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Default corvette rarity

Hi all; I'm new to the forum, but not to the world of vettes. I bought my first vette when I was 22 years old, my very first new car. It was a 78 Siliver Anv. L82, 4spd. with every thing in, including the CB radio combo. The sticker price was 12 thou, but I paid 3 thou over that because of the rarity of the L82 4spd. I sold the car in April of 1980 as I was getting married and wanted to save for a house. Mortgage rates back then were around 15%. WOW!! I told my future wife that SOMEDAY, I was going to buy another one. That SOMEDAY finally came , after 27 years , a house, buisness and kid later. I knew I wanted something rare again so took my time looking. After hours of internet searching and 9 months, I finally found exactly what I wanted. It's a 2000 convertible 6spd. peweter with a torch red interior. NOW HERES THE QUESTION. I'm trying to find out how many were made. I"ve taken the car to many shows in the area and haven't seen another one like it. The past 2 years my brother ( he has a 01 magentic red) and I have been to Corvettes at
carisile and again, haven't seen another peweter convt. with red. I've contacted the NCM,on 3 occasions, but all I got from they was "gee must be less than 10% of peweter convt." which would be about 150. I've try to contact GM but was told they don't keep those numbers, That's hard to believe.Any one with any ideas, PLEASE HELP. After waiting 27 years I plan on keeping and enjoying it. Will post some pics later. Thanks

Old 03-30-2009, 02:39 PM

I did just the opposite - bought my first Corvette at age 21 in 1979, but it was an 11-year old 68 vert. At 43, I bought my first new vehicle, my 2001 Mag Red coupe.

Here's some interesting reading for you:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...in-here-2.html

Old 04-05-2009, 08:04 PM

Dave01, Thanks for the reply and the link. Some cool pics on it. Just got mine out of storeage this week, now they're calling for snow Mon and Tues. Saw some guys yesterday with their top down. Thought I might write a vette magazine about my question.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:30 PM

Ah, I spent many a Winter back East, so I feel your pain. Here in San Diego, rain is nonexistant from May to November (and fairly scarce during Winter). Sometimes, I'd like it to rain so I won't feel guilty getting stuff done around the house!