Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

F-Body to C5...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 06:04 PM
Default F-Body to C5...

Hey guys...
I'm currently in the searching process for a C5, Targa or FRC, no preference as far as transmission goes. What specifics should I look for? I'm looking for cars in the $20-$25K range, and have found a few with good miles on them. I know I'll be losing 'performance' as far as straightline/HP goes (SS dynoed 422rwhp/410rwtq cam only), but then again, I've always loved the C5 looks, style, and well... It's a Vette.

Any tips? Will I miss the power, or will the Vette win me over right away? What year was HUD introduced to the Vette?

Thanks guys!

Old 01-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Default RE: F-Body to C5...

The vette handles much better and you will love it. I have a Camaro, too and compared to the 'vette it handled like a pig (even when stock, now its an extremely nasty pig to drive on the street). The vette is not as versaitle, though -- the Camaro was amazing practical for hauling stuff with its rear hatchback, etc. and it had a back seat, of sorts, which occasionally came in handy.

Also realize anything you can do to the F-body's engine you can do to the 'vette, actually more, since the engine is not nearly as far under the cowl, so for example, a Magnusen Supercharger will fit nicely on a vette but not on an F-body, and since the vette weighs roughly 7% less, its like having about 25 extra HP or so. And no, the fact that it does not have a solid rear axle does not really hurt your launches at the drag strip until you are up over about 500 RWHP.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm well aware that the Corvette's handling is superior to the f-body's. Versatility? Well, eh, not worried about that. In fact, I haven't had my backseats in the car for a long time now. I don't know how much modding will go into the Vette... Definately an LS6 intake, cat-back, possibly headers. Depending on how things go, cam may be a possibility also, but not anytime soon, and I'll probably not mod it too much (I've said that before tho lol...).

Leaving shortly to take a look a two, an A4 and a 6-Speed... We'll see how things pan out.

Any common small defects on the C5s that I should look for?

Old 01-09-2006, 09:08 PM

Well, there is one serious default, the steering column lock (it can freeze the wheel while you are driving, usually in the middle of a turn). Make sure this has been looked after (dealers repair it one waqy or there is a kit to disable the lock altogether, which is what I had done).

On some vettes, the rear bumper area bodywork sags and distorts around the tailpipes.

That's all I know of. They are pretty bulletproof.

Old 01-10-2006, 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis
Well, there is one serious default, the steering column lock (it can freeze the wheel while you are driving, usually in the middle of a turn). Make sure this has been looked after (dealers repair it one waqy or there is a kit to disable the lock altogether, which is what I had done).
On some vettes, the rear bumper area bodywork sags and distorts around the tailpipes.
That's all I know of. They are pretty bulletproof.
Wow, I had no idea about the steering column lock, thanks for the update!

Old 01-11-2006, 12:02 AM

When I was looking for my car it was all about price vs. mileage and condition. It took me a few months to find the right one but it was well worth the wait. I purchased my car a few months ago, 1998 6 speed with only 22,225 miles on it for $22,700. I was also luck because my car already had the Z06 wheels that where 3 days old, a Borla Stinger catback, and a Blackwing Intake already on it. And to answer your other question the HUD was introduced in '99. Good luck and let us know what you get.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:06 AM

ORIGINAL: PAY2PLAY
When I was looking for my car it was all about price vs. mileage and condition. It took me a few months to find the right one but it was well worth the wait. I purchased my car a few months ago, 1998 6 speed with only 22,225 miles on it for $22,700. I was also luck because my car already had the Z06 wheels that where 3 days old, a Borla Stinger catback, and a Blackwing Intake already on it. And to answer your other question the HUD was introduced in '99. Good luck and let us know what you get.
Definately taking my time in order to make the right purchase. F-Body was put up for sale right now, we'll see how it pans out. When everything does materialize itself, I'll be sure to post up plenty of pics and info! BTW... That's a good deal you got there, excellent miles!