Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

first 'road trip' :)

Old 12-18-2006, 12:50 AM
Default first 'road trip' :)

Wife an I took our Vette for it's inaugural road trip today ..straight out I-17, left to Prescott, then ..the fun part ..left to Wickenburg via hiway 89.. thru the mountains ..*nice* twisty turnies that are scary at anything over 30mph.. and a few that feel like 30 is pushin it.

-GRIN- We lakked dat

Coupla notes to self:
1) Less than half a tank of gas ..andcorner fairly smartly for an extended time in one direction (right turn sharp switchback f'rinstance) ..the gas gauge will goto zero fuel with the accompanying chime and check guage light..and it wont reset until you stop, shut off the car, and restart it. (thinkin the sensor got hung out to dry long enough for it to think we had no gas
2) Something is 'clunkin' around up front ..not bump dependent (rules out strut or shock/mounts), not speed related (kinda rules out bearings), or even steering input related (rules out steering components) ..completely random .. ima have to look at it up on a rack, it's a puzzle.. mayhap exhaust component bumpin somewhere?
3) I don't think I wanna know how hard this slot car will turn ..it's scary how she sticks on clean dry pavement ..the term 'on rails' just seems so mild, yanno?
4) Guy at the gas station offered to trade me straight up for his new blue POS 4 banger whatever (honestly I didn't even look at make/model).. I very politely said "NO way in HELL, thanks mk?" He couldn't believe our coupe was a '98 ..said he rarely see's any car that old in that good a shape ..wanted to know how much I paid an such ..turns out he'sone of thelocal car dealers in Prescott

Sunset caught us just as we exited the twisties, full dark by the time we hit Wickenburg .. she fell asleep
Yassir .. I think the Vette an I are gonna have a bit of fun the next few years

-Frank