Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

I HAD ME A PORSCHE FOR LUNCH THIS WEEKEND!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 04:24 AM
Default RE: I HAD ME A PORSCHE FOR LUNCH THIS WEEKEND!

re: motorcycle that wasn't HD ..
..umm .. *cough* .. Harley-Davidson's aren't fast.
Now .. V-max ..or FJ Yamaha ..or perhaps a turbo'd Ninja will step an fetch

-grin-

-Frank (friend of mine turbo'd his '76 900 Kawasaki thru Vance and Hines .. 9 second ET's and a bit of a challenge to keep the front wheel down, even thru the lites)

Old 12-17-2006, 05:15 AM

Rita,

Unfortunately for us, almost every Japanese motocycle out there is faster - even the relatively small 600 cc bikes will do low 12s or better in the 1/4-mile. It's the Harleys that we CAN sometimes beat!

BTW, on the last mountain run I attended, there were five supercharged C5s that showed up. One has over 700 HP. Porsche guys know that the "super-vettes" are out there and it appears that mister rich guy rarely challenges us for long.

Dave

Old 12-17-2006, 01:44 PM

Loved that story, and your Vette looks great in that pic...

Old 12-17-2006, 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Pecemkr

A new Porsche 911 Carrera S.....
I've seen the newest model S (the latest 911, actually a "997", year 2006) beat a stock C5 ZO6 in the quarter mile by about 1 length consistently - 12.6 in the quarter, so if you were running one of those you have gotten alot out your mods, since I would not expect enough power from what you list to make it up to over a ZO6's RWHP. It might have been a 4S, same engine but with 4 wheel drive, noticeably heavier -- still very fast in a straight lineand worth it, as the4-wheel drive makes it fantastic tight turns..

Old 12-17-2006, 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Grayeagle

re: motorcycle that wasn't HD ..
..umm .. *cough* .. Harley-Davidson's aren't fast.
Now .. V-max ..or FJ Yamaha ..or perhaps a turbo'd Ninja will step an fetch

-grin-

-Frank (friend of mine turbo'd his '76 900 Kawasaki thru Vance and Hines .. 9 second ET's and a bit of a challenge to keep the front wheel down, even thru the lites)
Well, thanks for this info. As you can see, I'm not really familar with motorcycles . . . I just know what went down on this particular occasion.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Dave01

Rita,

Unfortunately for us, almost every Japanese motocycle out there is faster - even the relatively small 600 cc bikes will do low 12s or better in the 1/4-mile. It's the Harleys that we CAN sometimes beat!

BTW, on the last mountain run I attended, there were five supercharged C5s that showed up. One has over 700 HP. Porsche guys know that the "super-vettes" are out there and it appears that mister rich guy rarely challenges us for long.

Dave
Hi Dave,
Well, like I said before, I know very little about motorcycles. I just always thought the HD were suppose to be the best. And I'm sure you are right about all the Japanese bikes out there, but again, I was just relaying what went down that day. Now, I don't know what kind of bike this kid was on, or if he had lead in his diaper that day, all I know is Iflew past him without any difficulty.

Again, thanks to all for theinfo on bikes.

Take care, stay safe.
RJ

Old 12-19-2006, 10:02 PM

I guess "best" has different meanings. I love Harleys and never really considered anything except the new Indian, and the Grey Ghost and Buell, etc.. They are certainly fast, and look and sound like real bikes. But when my youngest went shopping for a bike three years ago, he only looked at Japanese "crotch rockets." I tried to tell him that he could get a could Harley for the same money , but he just said, "Dad, only old men ride those things."

Oh, God, what a put down.

But I got the last laugh. The 'vette beat his 960 cc looks-like-an-alien-creature-bikein 3out of 3 races, all 20 mph street start tono limit drags out on the state highway, with his girlfriend riding with me and all his friends watching. I know that is just not ever supposed to happen, but I kicked his butt . . .

And you know, he sold the damn thing three months later. Didn't buy a Harley (yet) -- bought a house instead, but it's the principle of the thing, you realize.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:42 AM

chock one up for the General. Congrats. Keepon knockin' 'em out.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

But I got the last laugh. The 'vette beat his 960 cc looks-like-an-alien-creature-bikein 3out of 3 races, all 20 mph street start tono limit drags out on the state highway, with his girlfriend riding with me and all his friends watching. I know that is just not ever supposed to happen, but I kicked his butt . . .
GREAT POST!!!
I love a story with a happy ending.