Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Inherited a c5

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 03:05 PM
Default Inherited a c5

My father-in-law just passed away and left his 1997 c5 to his daughter (my wife). Looks like I'm a Vette owner now. The car is black on black with 54k miles. Beautiful vehical. This baby was the pride of his life. It is imaculate. I'm amazed at how prestine the condition is.

That being said, as I was cruizing it down the highway to bring it home, it felt like the right rear suspension was a bit loose. I had to take it in for an inspection to get licensed so I asked the mechanic what he thought. He checked it out and the rear stabalizers are worn and it could use some new shocks but they didn't look bad. However, I'm convinced that the rear suspension should be much tigher than it is, it was very very mooshy when excelerating or hitting any type of bump.

What suggestions does anyone have on rear suspension. I'm probably not going to race it, but I assure you that at times will enjoy the power of this beast I'd welcome any insights.

Thanks

.g

Old 06-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Default RE: Inherited a c5

Take it to a good mechanic, mention you suspicions, but let him diagnose and prioritize what the cars needs, and have everything he recommends replaced before delving in to any other fixes on the suspension. What the inspection mechanic recommended might very well tighten up the rear.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:20 PM

I'm surprised a 54 K well cared for car would need anything ithe rear. Trying to put this tactfully, not my strong suit, how used to driving powerful, rear drive, independent suspension cars are you?
Are you sure there is a problem? I would have it inspected by someone who has a lot of Vette experience, not necesarily your regular mechanic.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:40 PM

Does your car have the adjustable suspension? Does it still have run-flats? These cars came new with run-flats and the OEM Goodyears will spin without the usual squelling sound so you might be breaking traction and your ASR system is applying the brake to compensate. You need to sit down to read your owners manual and view the video that came with the car. These may answer a lot of your questions and explain things you haven't even begun to think about.
I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with the car's suspension with that few miles on it and the care the car received. These cars are fairly stout and very durable.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:14 PM

Well at your suggestions I took it to the certified dealer here in town and had them look it over. Turns out the rear stabalizers are both bad and they feel the same mooshiness (if that is a word) in the backend that I do. Their recomendation is to replace both rear shocks and the stabalizers.

My question is, since I'm going to be replacing them, are there any recomendations on aftermarket rear shocks that are better than the originals. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:01 PM

I do know that the big leaf spring is made of a plastic-like material and can be ruined if you use any of many types of chemicals to clean it. Before taking the word of the dealer you may want to get a second opinion as they are in the parts and repair business and if you think there is a problem they will generally fix you up with expensive repairs whether needed or not.

I can't believe there is so little response on this forum. Had you posted this question on the "other forum" you would have had numerous detailed explanations within an hour or two.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and reposted in "other forums". I'm positive it is the shocks. I've been a sports car driver for 15 years. I grew up with a father who owned everything from Maseratis and lotuses to MG and Jaguars. I may have never owned a Vette, but if this is what the suspension feels like then I can't believe anybody really loves the car. I KNOW it needs work.

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can get some help.