Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Instrument Cluster Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 09:45 PM
Default Instrument Cluster Problem

I'll do my best to explain and ask without making this confusing. I am a new, first time owner of a 99 C5. The car has little things wrong with it that are nothing at all to fix, other than that, there are no serious issues. I do however have an issue with the lights directly behind my gauges in the instrument cluster, specifically the tac, speed, oil, fuel ect....... With that said, I did pull the cluster thinking I was going to be able to replace the bulbs and fix this issue, nope, not happening. Anyway, during the process of pulling the cluster, I noticed that there was a refurbished part sticker on the cluster. I wasn't overly concerned about this until today when I came across a post on Facebook where someone said they had two or three clusters available if the person who made the post needed one. With that said, I private messaged the individual with the extra clusters and the response I got back was "well it depends on the mileage" my response was "Mileage? I've got roughly 111,000 on this car. He came back with "I have one with 90 something, 48K and 163K. I am getting curious at this point and I asked "Is the mileage recorded by the cluster? I understood that was controlled by the ECU?" He stated "it's in the cluster" By now my wheels are really spinning!!!
So now I'm asking myself "if this car already has a refurbished cluster in it, what are the chances the odometer mileage is correct? I could have a car with less miles on it, or one with way more miles on it because I don't know if the original owner did the right thing and had the odometer reading matched with the original cluster. Here's my question, is there a way to confirm that the mileage on the odometer now is the actual mileage on the car?

Old 03-24-2022, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Maybe you should just check with a dealer to see if they can pull the mileage from the ECU.

Old 03-24-2022, 01:16 PM

Thank you, glad to have a place to go for input without it coming out of my pocket. Anyway, that's the next step in my process to figure this out, but I have hesitation in doing so. One is the out of pocket expense for the dealer to do it. The other, after reading other post on the same subject, I have read where the dealer either wouldn't do it, or couldn't do it. That was the purpose of my post here on the forum, and to see if anyone on here had proof, or knowledge that it can be obtained from the ECU