Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

It's Always Something

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Default It's Always Something

One thing I really hate is having to spend unexpected money. So I'm washing my car yesterday and I see what looks like a little piece of a leaf on my tire. As I try to knock it off with the hose it doesn't move. So I get closer only to discover that I have a nice size screw stuck in my rear tire...and its leaking slowly. Luckly I already have an appointment to take my car to one of the local Corvette Shops (Corvette Specialties of MD) tomorrow for some work so I will see if they can patch it.

Now if I do have to get a new tire, is it recommended that I change both back tires at the same time? As of right now my tires have about 7K miles on them.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:42 PM
Default RE: It's Always Something

If the screw is in the sidewall area, the tire will most likely have to be replaced otherwise it can be repaired. If the tire has to be replaced, it's hard to say if you should replace both rear tires. The obvious reason for replacing both tires being that tires that have different diameters will will wear out the LSD more quickly (not to mention raise the temperature of the gear lube).

Old 09-17-2006, 04:59 PM

Man, that sucks "PAY" especially with only 7K on them, but if it's in the tread area, than it should be able to be patched.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:22 AM

ORIGINAL: PAY2PLAY

One thing I really hate is having to spend unexpected money. So I'm washing my car yesterday and I see what looks like a little piece of a leaf on my tire. As I try to knock it off with the hose it doesn't move. So I get closer only to discover that I have a nice size screw stuck in my rear tire...and its leaking slowly. Luckly I already have an appointment to take my car to one of the local Corvette Shops (Corvette Specialties of MD) tomorrow for some work so I will see if they can patch it.

Now if I do have to get a new tire, is it recommended that I change both back tires at the same time? As of right now my tires have about 7K miles on them.
IF IT NOT IN THE SIDE WALL YOU CAN PLUG IT YOUR SELF...AND WITH 7 K YOU DONT HAVE TO REPLACE BOTH TIRES,JUST THE BAD ONE,, BUT IM SHURE A PLUG WILL DO THE JOB

Old 09-18-2006, 01:10 PM

Yeah its in the tread. Somebody suggested that I have it patch from the inside instead of having it plugged.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:35 PM

ORIGINAL: PAY2PLAY

Yeah its in the tread. Somebody suggested that I have it patch from the inside instead of having it plugged.
they are both good.....i like the plugs better

Old 09-18-2006, 04:20 PM

Well, I have the same kind of luck. The other day the reflector on the passenger door panel broke and fell off. So I go to the dealer and order a new one ($23). After I get it from the dealership I go home, and when I get out of my car and close the door the drivers side reflector breaks off. ...Always something... I have a habit of breaking those little screw covers that are inside of the interior door handle too. geesh...

Old 09-19-2006, 02:46 AM

My back tire went flat on my Tundra w/ $200 33" tires. Pulled over and was surprised to find a 3/8 open end wrench sticking thru the center of my tire. It pays to have the road hassard warranty from discount tire, I only paid $40.00 for a new tire $30.00 to renew the warranty certificate and $10.00 to balance. I still have the run flats on my 04 vette coupe. ? Can they patch a run flat? Does discount tire offer road hassard on run flats?

Old 09-20-2006, 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: kruser

Well, I have the same kind of luck. The other day the reflector on the passenger door panel broke and fell off. So I go to the dealer and order a new one ($23). After I get it from the dealership I go home, and when I get out of my car and close the door the drivers side reflector breaks off. ...Always something... I have a habit of breaking those little screw covers that are inside of the interior door handle too. geesh...
I've had to replace one of those too. I can't remember why I tried to pull it off one day, but when I did the clip broke. Luckly they aren't too costly.