Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Leaking wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Default Leaking wheels

C5 with stock wheels that leak. Thinking about a nitrogen replacement to help resolve this issue. My question is; do any of you know if the nitrogen willl effect the monitors on the wheel and give a false reading on the DIC?

Old 02-15-2009, 08:45 PM

No, it won't affect them. You can use it. The sensors depend onpressure, not the actually chemical composition in the gas.

But then nitrogen will not stop the leak, just maybe slow it down. I expect you will just replace a sitaution where you are losing a cheap gas (air) quickly, with one where you are losing an expensive gas (notrogren) about a third as fast

However, you ought to think about the leak. Stock wheels are seldom porous so they should not leak. If they have been damanged or roughly handled so they leak you should replace them -- they would be weak enough to fail at high speed. If not damaged, and you think they are porous, you can have them sealed: even a good primer and paint on the inside areas will often seal them well enough, but there are actually sealants made that do the job well, too. The valve stems could be old and should be replaced: you don't mention the age but if the car has been out in harsh winters, etc., and is nearing 10 years, this would be my bet. (and even if you had them replaced I'dtoo: this happens.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:38 PM

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The car/wheels are 03, polished alum and as far as I know never been abused. No leaks from the rubber, but again my test method may be questionable also. I just presumed the wheels themselves were leaking. I have had mags in an earlier life that did leak through the metal and presumed this was again the guilty party. I would think that if the wheels leak and I put a commercial gunk/goo/glue of some sort through the valve stem it would to more damage to the pressure mechanism that removing the wheel and coating the inside. Anyway thanks for the food for thought.