Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

6 speed Manual trans ATF oil, dextron 3, vs Dex Merc vs Dextron 6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:22 PM
DrJ
Default 6 speed Manual trans ATF oil, dextron 3, vs Dex Merc vs Dextron 6?

Hi guys

2000 coupe 6 speed trans oil selection of proper ATF?

Sorry to beat this dead horse again. thanks to all who considered this past thread.

The oem spec of Dextron 3 is not sold in auto parts stores. I prefer to avoid overpriced dealership and don't trust my local as not very corvette experenced

At local auto Zone and Pep Boys:

There is Dex/Merc which claims to be for "older GM Vehicles" and is claimed a replacement for Dextron 3(G) and Dextron 3( H). the label says "Fine base stocks oil", which I believe to mean it is a normal non-synthetic oil. $4 a quart
do I use this oil?

there is also Dextron 6, a semi-synthetic blend ATF, which claims to be backward serviceable for dextron 3, but a "superior oil"( due to synthetic type?)
I was told from a reliable sounding source to avoid the dextron 6 as bad for the 2000 6 speed? Trans $6.50 qt

just looking to see if a general agreement exists on this question?
Anybody know why regular gear trans oil is not used in favor of the ATF?

Old 03-01-2009, 03:53 PM

We meet again.

There is Dex/Merc which claims to be for "older GM Vehicles" and is claimed a replacement for Dextron 3(G) and Dextron 3( H). the label says "Fine base stocks oil", which I believe to mean it is a normal non-synthetic oil. $4 a quart
do I use this oil?
If it says that it is the equivalent of DEXRON III, then it's probably ok. Manufacturers can make these claims, it's just that DEXRON III is a GM spec, and ® trademark, and no longer licensed. Thus, no one can sell it as DEXRON III, even though it may be the exact same ATF.

I will use it if it makes the equivalent statement. GM does make the claim that the factory fill is a lifetime fill for the 6-spd.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:18 PM
DrJ

thanks for reply and your additional kind attention.

as to dex/mercon "for older GM vehicles" which is non-synthetic, yes it does say Dextron 3 , equivalent. no doubt this would "work"

however the newer dextron 6 which is a semi-synthetic oil and claims "twice as beneficial" also says dextron 3 backwards compatible.

Chevron oils had an interesting site listing both oils as GMN 10060 compatible. which is what is our 6 speed spec.

See their sites for oils with tabs for "MD" and Dextron

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...n/dextron.aspx

the whole point of my inquiry is to better use the semi-synthetic dextron 6, since I found a small trans leak I fixed , and now need to refill the transmission, preferably with the better dextron 6 semi-synthetic unless its prohibited as you once reasonably suggested, but just double checking as the chevron site indicated it was ok?

Old 03-01-2009, 04:39 PM

According to GM, DEXRON VI is backward compatible for the automatics only. And it is a full synthetic. Originally GM did say backward compatible for all transmissions that required DEXRON III, and later revised it to not include the manuals.

http://corvettemechanic.com/forum/c5...smissions.html

Old 03-01-2009, 05:03 PM
DrJ

thank you !

this answers my question. i will not use the dex 6 to keep it 100% safe, i will just buy the gm lubricant
part # 88861800 for manual transmissions.

appreciate all the help.

Happy motoring