Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Need Help w/ Exhaust choice ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 03:32 AM
Default RE: Need Help w/ Exhaust choice ?

Tank you RJ,
and all the rest of you here for Information on your exhuast systems.
I just ot back to San Diego, been working in Ariz,(Phx) Have seen a couple of nice Vettes out there. Drove up next to a nice C5. In my rental Dodge Ram pickup, Thanks to Enterpise rent a truck, LOL. He had a sweet sounding Exhuast system on it. It sounded so good at Idle then he turn and got on it to get on the freeway, Sounded like the Borla, I loved hearing that deep sound. Does anybody know of a good shop for me to get my Borla stinger system installed. Here In San Diego, Calif.... Thinking of cat back with X-pipe.
Thanks again everybody D327

Old 08-19-2006, 05:08 AM

This shop installed a nice system in my old 68. They came highly recommended to me:

http://sandiego.merchantamerica.com/directory/Car_Care,_Boats_and_Vehicles/Mufflers_and_Exhaust_Services/Ed_Hanson's_Muffler_Svc

I must also say that installing a cat-back system is very easy, so I would venture to say that any local shop can do it. Just make sure they lift your car without damaging underneath the side panels. A unch of Corvette owners and I installed my Borlas. The hardest part was getting the rear of my car up 40 inches high. We did have to swing the rear sway bar out of the way in order to get the right side exhaust pipe out in one piece. Some people cut this pipe before removing it, but I wanted it out in one piece.

Dave

Old 08-19-2006, 06:42 AM

I have also heard people Rave about the Corsa exhaust. Any one here of it, and wondering how it sounds compared to the Borlas, or magnaflows. I've heard the sound bites on their websites, but would like to hear from who has it first hand.

Old 08-19-2006, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: D327

I have a stock 2004 C5 coupe auto. Looking for quiet inside and deep performance sound when you step on the gas. so far torn between Magnaflow and Borla cat back system w/ Xpipe. Thank you for any advise members can give me. D327 new member

Bassani, Bassani, Bassani...........I have Bassani.....I like Bassani........Bassani, Bassani, Bassani

Old 08-19-2006, 05:09 PM

ORIGINAL: gorichb

I have also heard people Rave about the Corsa exhaust. Any one here of it, and wondering how it sounds compared to the Borlas, or magnaflows. I've heard the sound bites on their websites, but would like to hear from who has it first hand.

I have heard most types of cat-backs at dyno day events and although Corsa is famous for having zero resonance, their idle sound resembles a motor boat - not very muscle car-like. From what I gather in polls and many, many opinions, the Borla Stingers have been the best-selling cat backs for the last few years. In fact, some Corvette parts vendors have tried to steer customers towards other in-stock cat-backs, but almost always decided to carry the Borlas - they are big sellers for one good reason - sound.

And yes, I have heard Bassanis - decent sound and a good Italian name!

Old 08-19-2006, 08:30 PM

I went by the local muffler shop before work today. The owner has the Corsa installed on his 2000 silverado, He was in there "raving" about it, said it would sound "awesome" on a Vette. After hearing it, i agree with you, sounded rather "PUNI" ( is that a word), at idle. I didn't like it at all. That didn't sell me on it, so I think I'll look more into the Borlas.
I'm a little worried about resonance though at cruising speed with mine being a 'Vertible.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: D327

Thank you for your help guys. My Vette is a weekend driver.I have family an hour drive from me and some weekends, may drive more. ???? How do you like the Borla on long drives. Thanks again for your help.
By the way, D. If you need a first-hand listening experience, let me know. I believe I'm just south of you and I can pop the top and make a highway run so you can make your own judgement as to whether the sound is for you.

Dave

Old 08-30-2006, 08:05 PM

Dave,
Thank you for the first hand listening invite, on your Borla stinger system. I may take you up on it. I finished work in PHX and then right up to LA. so havent had much time here in San Diego. I called Ed Hanson's Muffler Service in Spring Valley, They told me it's $250.00 to install the Borla Stinger w/ X pipe. I have to purchase the system and have it sent to them, because they deal with MagnaFlow. Anybody have advise on were to purchase the system. Thank you

Old 08-31-2006, 12:53 AM

You should pay no more than $120 for the install. You might want to check a local shop's price. Just be sure to bring lifting pucks in case they don't have any available. According to what I've seen in ads, a good price for dual tip Stings can be had at www.corvettegarage.com ($659.00)

It doesn't appear that they have the quads, but thelapd.com has quad-tips (oval or round) for $849.95. You might want to shop around for better prices, but these seem in-line.

And let me know if you want to listen to my Borlas.

Dave

Old 08-31-2006, 07:09 AM

WoW!
$250.00 to install is HIGH!

I just had the Borla Stinger put on my 98, paid $750.00 out the door including install. Now I didn't change out the X pipe yet, I'll wait till I put the headers on.

Quick Reply: Need Help w/ Exhaust choice ?