Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Non run flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Default Non run flat tires

I just purchased my first C5 2004 Corvette. I can seeI have a lot to learn about this high tech machine.
I have heard non-run flat tires are quiterand smoother running than run flat tires.
This sounds like a good option to consider. But since the car does not have a spare or a jack what do you do if the non-run flat tire gets a flat?

Old 02-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Default RE: Non run flat tires

Have you heard of Fix-a-Flat?

The Z06s (which don't have run-flats) come with a can of leak sealant and a small air pump.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:39 AM

I have not heard of this before. I will look for it.
Is there any negative running effects of the tire after its repaired with this stuff inside?
Thank you for the info.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: spoiler

I just purchased my first C5 2004 Corvette. I can seeI have a lot to learn about this high tech machine.
I have heard non-run flat tires are quiterand smoother running than run flat tires.
This sounds like a good option to consider. But since the car does not have a spare or a jack what do you do if the non-run flat tire gets a flat?
Call a flat bed. A tow normally will cost you about $75-$100 depending on where you are and how far you have to go. A nominal risk as I feel there are several non run flat tires that perform far superior to your limited run flat options.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the response.
I am leaning in that direction as this origional Good Year Eagle F1GS is quite noisey.
I installed a noise supresser in the trunk to cut down on the rear noise.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:40 PM

you can get a very simple, small, yet effective pump that plugs into your cigarette lighter for about $30 i think, and it will fit in the center cargo compartment under the big lid in the trunk. beyond that, fix a flat and tire plug kits are only a couple of bucks each. the nice thing is, unless you just hit a nail and the tire goes down fast, your tire pressure monitoring system should catch it as it starts getting low.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the info.
I carry a 350 amp battery Jump Start unit which also has an air pump attachedto it.
This unit does fit in the center trunk compartment.
This unit gives me piece of mind for a possable dead battery and now also a pump for a flat non-flat run tire.
I will purchase a can of Fix A Flat and I should be all set.
Thanhs again.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:04 PM

Hey spoiler: I switched a couple of months ago to KUMHO's non run flats and found an emergency tire repair kit at any walmart for about $20 which includes D/C pump and a bottle of green slime tire repair. The change from the run flats are great.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the input lumpsdaddy.
Looks like I should get the repair kit also.

Sounds like non run flats is the way to go.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: spoiler

I have AAA plus. It pays for its self with one use!

Quick Reply: Non run flat tires