Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

radiator back flush "T" ,which hose to install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:40 PM
DrJ
Default radiator back flush "T" ,which hose to install?

2000 cpe, 6 sp, Z1-handling package

original owner, 26,000 miles sunday driver, car often sits for a few weeks not started.
So cal temperate climate, year round temps avg 50-70. never hot/cold .
car has been driven easy, always warmed up before driving.

I never changed coolant, dumb, with no hot or cold temps we forget about radiators here, but oops its been 9 years!

now plan to do aggressive flush with major mfg "back flush T kit" and "super cleaner"

for installing the "T" , there are 2 medium size hoses from the engine to the firewall/ heater on the passenger side of motor.

Q#1
the upper hose also connects into the bottom of the overflow tank, is this the hose from engine going to the heater? the kit instructs to put "T" in the " Heater inlet hose". so is the upper hose this one?

Q#2
are there special air bleeding openings I need to open to air bleed the system? or any other special concerns for corvette, as many general tutorials on line explaining how to do a back flush for typical car.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:45 PM

There is a "way" to do this in the manual but its really easy...

For mine I dont flush the entire system together... I dont want to wash any junk out of my engine into my heater core and vice versa. Unhook two hoses coming from the fire wall and flush those two out. Then simply flush the other end of the hose to do the engine, or find the hose going into the water pump and flush there.

Refill the system, let the car warmup and the thermostat open and just keep the lid off and keep topping it off. Drive it a little and check to make sure its still full. The bubble will make its way to the reservoir and then you can refill. Chances are when you get it to operating temp there will be no bubbles.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-06-2009, 04:32 PM
DrJ

thanks for reply,

do u know if the upper or lower heater hose is the "heater inlet hose: