Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Recommendations for Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 12:41 AM
Default Recommendations for Brakes

I'm looking to put some new pads and rotors on my 2002 6 speed C5 coupe. I'm looking to maximize the stock C5 brakes stopping power on the street. Not because I drive irresponsibly on the street, but for safety in case of a panic stop, and for overall better performance. Something with good cold bite, wide operating temperature range, resistant to fade, good pedal feel/modulation for heel toe-ing, and non corrosive brake dust. I have Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, so as of right now I have a lot more tire grip than braking force. I read that the C5 Z06 came with more aggressive pads than the coupe did. Not sure what brand. I'm assuming there's better pads out there now than what the Z06 came with over 15 years ago? I've read about operating temps and such and how it's better to have separate track and street pads, as there's no real compromise 'do it all' pad.

From what I've read on rotors, I should avoid drilled rotors, as they weaken the rotor and serve no real purpose. So I was going to go with either slotted or blank rotors. I don't care about bling or what looks cool, I'm interested in whatever is more efficient. I read slotted rotors can clean off/shave the pad clean but also wear the pad down faster? I guess its not really needed for a street car, maybe stick with blank rotors? I will say I hate the look of rusty rotor hats, if there are any with painted hats that won't rust I'd appreciate that. If not I could paint them myself I suppose. I was looking at Centric high carbon blank rotors, they aren't too expensive and seem to get good reviews.

I like to take my car through twisty roads and drive spiritedly. I'm not too worried about brake dust as I clean my car regularly. I'm looking for good stopping power on the street. I just am worried about the dust being corrosive and harming wheels/paint. I was looking at Hawk HPS 5.0 pads which seem to have good stopping power, but many people complained about the dust being corrosive and becoming hard like cement if the dust got wet like if it rained. I'd rather not go with ceramic pads. Sure they don't dust and last longer, but they sacrifice stopping power. I'd rather have good stopping power and dust, as long as the dust isn't corrosive as I said.

While I was at it, I figured some new brake fluid and stainless steel lines wouldn't hurt.

Any recommendations for my needs?

Old 04-18-2020, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

I would check some of the aftermarket Corvette suppliers. I've heard Wilwood makes good stuff. Stay away from any from China. While brake dust can be corrosive, cleaning often as you said should prevent any problems.

If you replace the fluid, don't forget to bleed the ABS. I understand it takes a special "scanner" to actuate it.

Let us know what you wind up doing and how it works out for you.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by 73shark
I would check some of the aftermarket Corvette suppliers. I've heard Wilwood makes good stuff. Stay away from any from China. While brake dust can be corrosive, cleaning often as you said should prevent any problems.

If you replace the fluid, don't forget to bleed the ABS. I understand it takes a special "scanner" to actuate it.

Let us know what you wind up doing and how it works out for you.
People made it out like the Hawk pads dust was harmful. Is it really a big deal?

So if I bleed the brakes myself, it won't get the fluid out of the ABS module? Do I need to take it to a shop to do that?

Willwood is popular. I was looking at either Centric high carbon rotors or stoptech slotted. How are the Centric rotors? They seem to be priced decent.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

I think current Corvettes are using Brembo brakes. Might check them out. From what I understand, you do need to activate the ABS to completely bleed the brakes.

Just read Don Sherman's article in Corvette Magazine on the C8 and he quoted Tadge Juechter as stating that they don't want to use slotted or drilled rotors because they use up the pads a lot faster. They also are specifically only good for getting rid of the water during rain conditions.

I can't help you on the Centric rotors as I've never heard of them.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 73shark
I think current Corvettes are using Brembo brakes. Might check them out. From what I understand, you do need to activate the ABS to completely bleed the brakes.

Just read Don Sherman's article in Corvette Magazine on the C8 and he quoted Tadge Juechter as stating that they don't want to use slotted or drilled rotors because they use up the pads a lot faster. They also are specifically only good for getting rid of the water during rain conditions.

I can't help you on the Centric rotors as I've never heard of them.
You know I was debating slotted vs blank, because of that reason specifically. Slotted rotors supposedly shave the pad and keep the surface clean. But the downside is that, they wear the pads down a lot faster. For a street car I think I'm leaning towards blank rotors for that reason.