Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

shifting from 1st to 4th ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 12:38 PM
Default shifting from 1st to 4th ???

I have an 01 Z06. Why is it so difficult to shift from first to second. It often slides right into 4th, and will not go into second unless you hit forth then back to neutral and then over to second. I assume this problem is typical, b/c there's a dash light to let you know you're about to shift into 4th, that lights up before you ever get out of 1st.
any body know what the deal is on this, and is there anyway to fix it ?

Old 01-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Default RE: shifting from 1st to 4th ???

New Z06 owner here but - That is a "feature" on the car to help save gas. Like anyone who bought one of these is interested in saving gas... When the light comes on the dash it's just letting you know you can shift into fourth instead of going through 2nd and third to take advantage of the feature. As far as not being able to shift into second I'm not sure about that, mine seems to shift quite easy anytime, any gear.

Good Luck...

Old 01-19-2006, 04:57 PM

It is called the CAGS - Computer Assisted Gear Selection, and basically it forces you to shift into four instead of second if you are driving in a liesurely way, to imprve gas mileage. Unless you are really getting on it, the car computer fources you to go into fourth, skipping second and third gear. It imprves gas milesage in the government tests A LOT - enough that the cars avoid the gas guzzler tax-- it made that much of a difference in the government mileage tests.

CAGS is a pain in the butt!

You can buy a small module called an iCAGS (interupt CAGS) that takes ten minutes to plug innine of those minutes are spent climbing under the car to reach the trans). Plug it in and it permanently disables the CAGS - the car computer still thinks its working but it won't - now you can shift the car normally. This was the first mod I did - I bought one at the dealer when I bought my car (parts department had some). I put it on the moment I got it home, with only 5 miles of the odometer.

You can buy an iCAGS at some GM dealers, from Ecklers and I think JEGS and Thunder Racings, etc. GEt one!!!

Old 01-20-2006, 01:52 AM

You can buy the iCAGS (or skip shift eliminator as it is commonly called) from Speed Engineering which is one of our vendors listed over to the right of the screen. Click Here

Old 01-24-2006, 11:20 AM

Wheww ! well that's good to know. Thanks for the help guys, I was starting to wonder if maybe I just didn't know how to drive a stick. LOL.

I'm gonna go get one of those right away, if I wanted gas milage I would have bought an import.