Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

spark knocking

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Default spark knocking

even w/ 93 octain Exxon fuel and some octain booster addative, I still get some serious spark knocking at high RPM's how can I fix this ?

Old 01-19-2006, 05:11 PM
Default RE: spark knocking

Are you sure its is knocking (from detonation)? This absolutely should not happen. The car should not knock on 93 octane, and if the knock sensor is working it should back off even if the inclination is to knock because the fuel isn't high enough octance.

I'd be a bit concerned about this and not take it to high revs until you get it fixed.

Where to start? The first thing to check is if the engine computer has noticed anything wrong. Go this this site: http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm

Follow the instructions at the top of the page you'll see there, exactgly, on how to extract the DIC codes you engine has stored -- if it is knocking or it the kncok sensor has acted up there should be diagnostic some codes stored in the PCM They will flash across the little computer display behind the steering wheel - have a pencil and paper ready to write them down (or a friend to do it while you read - they go by pretty quickly). Then look them up in the table on this site. They could be anything from actual "I'm sensing engine knock" codes to "knock sensor acting up" to " bank 1 running lean" to anything else. But this will help. For the moment, DO NOt reset (erase) the codes: the site tells you how to do that and you sometimes erase them to see if the recur - but you want them in there to show the dealer/repair guy.

If you have no engine related codes then: 1) your car is not knocking and you hear something else, or 2) it is and you have a seriously screwed up situation -- all I can think of is that if there are no codes and it really IS kncoking then the knock sensor is broken (but the computer should figure that out) or, really bad, the PCM (power control module) has been re-programmed to ignor codes or re-tuned for some reason and it is screwed up.

Did you buy you car from a dealer? If so you can take it back and bitch like hell either way (if its throwing codes they should have caught it before they sold it and need to make it right - and why isn't the Check Engine light coming on it if is throwing codes?) if the car has been re-programmed, they sold you a lemon, potentially in violation of emission laws (not sure this si crrect but it will scare the sh** out of the salesman) --have them flash a new, stock program in it (assuming the car IS stock).
Otherwise, take it to a good covette shop and have it looked at. And don't drive at revs where the knocking happens until you get it fixed -- hate to hear you had to replace a piston ot two or . . . eight.
Whateer happens come back here and tell us what happened.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Default RE: spark knocking

Thanks for the help Lee. I did buy the car from a dealer, but they got it on a trade so they really don't know the history. I'll do some home work on those codes and get my details straight before I go back fussin'.
thanks again.
Clay