Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Soft rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:20 AM
Default Soft rattle

I just noticed a soft rattle while cruising at about 35 mph. It is an intermittent rattle, but a definite rattle. I never noticed it before because I'm usually playing music, so I can't say for sure when it started, but has anyone had any similar experiences? It's not the AC because I turned it off and could still hear this soft rattle. I do have the Borla Stinger exhaust pipes, but it doesn't sound like it's coming from the back of the car - more like directly underneath. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:57 AM
Default RE: Soft rattle

Did you perhaps shift the X-pipe and forward ends of the exhaust slightly when you installed the Borla? the X pipe runs right under the shifter, etc., the whole length of the car. There is not a lot of room under there for clearance from the manifolds back, so there may be contact somewhere if the Borla installation pushed things around.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:54 PM

Hi Lee,
No, the customization was done by the original owner and I never noticed this sound before. I'm going to have the service shop at the dealership look at it. I doesn't sound like anything too serious, but I just would like to know.

Thanks again.
Rita

Old 07-31-2006, 07:28 PM

Hi Lee,
I just took it for a test ride and it seems the rattle is only there when the engine is cold. And even then, it is an intermittent rattle. After warming up and at high speeds it cannot be heard.
Does that sound like an exhaust issue? Thanks in advance. Rita

Old 08-01-2006, 05:36 PM

Rita,

Sometimes my passenger side seatbelt buckle rattles against the area near the door sill. Try putting a sock on it to see if it is the culprit.

Good luck.

Dave

Old 08-02-2006, 12:24 AM

Hi Dave,
No it isn't anything like that. It sounds like it's coming from in front, underneath the car. It also seems to disappear once the car is warmed up. Do you think it could be anything with the air dam or my Borla Stinger exhaust pipes? Lee suggested it might have something to do with the install of the pipes, and explained how the manifold goes the entire length of the car. So it sounds like a possiblity, but that doesn't explain why it would stop once the car is warmed up. I am afraid to take it back to the dealership - I don't want those guys doing anything to make it worse. (This dealership got overspray on my vette when it was in for something else and that was a major pain getting that straightened out.) It doesn't seem like a serious problem - just annoying, so I'm trying to provide to the dealership as much info as possible before taking it in.
By the way, we just took this picture today of my 7.5" dual pipes. Check it out, I love em! I think they are sooooo hot!! Take care and thanks in advance for all your help. Rita

Old 08-02-2006, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like an exhaust leak to me. Probably at the manifold to cylinder head. Characteristics are the same, here it cold, warms up not. Check and make sure all of your exhaust manifold bolts are still in manifold. Seen some broken ones on C5 gen. engines. [8D]

Old 08-02-2006, 01:29 PM

Thank you so much!!!! I will relay that to the guys in the service shop when I go. That sounds right on the money to me.

Again, thank you.
Rita

Old 08-02-2006, 04:14 PM

Nice pipes!!! Love your car. Hope they can fix that rattle for ya soon. That'd drive me MAD!!

Old 08-02-2006, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the kind thoughts. Looks like you have a hot ride, too!

Quick Reply: Soft rattle