Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

car wont start , no spark

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Default car wont start , no spark

I have an 88' c4 which will not start. There is no spark. I have replaced a few parts on it, it has a repaired MSD box which was blown, a new distributor which had worn teeth on on it and the car still will not get any spark to the wires. I dont have a clue as to what else it could be. Can somebody lead me in the right direction, is there a fuse or relay that could have also blown too.

thanks

Old 01-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Default RE: car wont start , no spark

Are you are getting power to the distributor? I would check the ignition wire lead (should be the wire lead closest to the firewall) @ the distributor cap with a test light & the ignition turned "on." If you are getting power to the distributor, chances are there is a malfunction w/ the distributor. I would check for a bad coil or bad ignition module.

I don't know anything about the MSD systems. If it is possible to bi-pass the MSD, maybe the car will start in it's stock configuration.

Maybe someone else will chime in with their view.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:17 AM
Default RE: car wont start , no spark

Have you tested the MSD box? to test the box find the two wires that come out of the box that are wraped together with black shrink warp the wires are green and purple (they are the ones that go to the dist) on the box side of the wires take a paper clip and jump across the wires (make sure there is no background noise IE. radio on, people talking etc.) listin for the box to squeak or wine (it will be a very light sound) if you dont hear it the box IS BAD. i have alot of experience with MSD stuff which are very good stuff i think in 13 years of messing around with MSD i have had 6 bad boxes and only 1 bad coil i never had good luck with rebuilt boxes also make sure it is wired right heavy red constant power, heavy black "GOOD" ground, light red (wire size not color) key on power, white wire if using MSD dist this is not used if using HEI this goes to power side of cap. if the boxed is squeaking and it is wired right and you still have no spark let me know i do have more things to try but i really think your box is bad as of right now