Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

Storing my Z06

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:06 AM
Default Storing my Z06

All:

Just seeing if you have any advice or "must do's" for leaving a vette sit for like 70 days....I've heard that these low profile tires can get flat spots it they sit? Do I need to jack the car up? Or I've also seen mats of some sorts that you can park on to prevent it, too. Just looking for advice on how to make sure my baby is ok when I come back (I am in the Air Force and am deploying overseas). Thanks for your help.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Default RE: Storing my Z06

Well, whenever I stored cars before, I used to do the following:
1) Change the oil and filter
2) Add gas stabalizer to help prevent it from going stale, and having to flush the tank later
3) Get her off the ground, put it up on jack stands, to avoid the flat spots
4) Disconnect the battery

70 days isn't too bad for storing, in my opinion, so if you do the above things, your car should be just fine. You might also want to stick a car cover on her, depending on how you feel about that....

Old 08-09-2006, 05:26 PM

Also, keep the windows down. Now if you'd rather keep the oil flowing, my son is 16 and should be getting his license soon. He's be happy to take the Z for a spin every now and then!

Old 08-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Kevin,
After putting in the fuel stabilizer, run the car a couple of miles to be sure it circulates through the fuel system. And yes, put'er on stands. Even if in a garage, put a cover over her. (she'll sleep better)

My Dad flew in WWII and my brother flew in Nam. I'm behind you all the way!!!
Come home safe!!!

Old 08-09-2006, 09:30 PM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

My Dad flew in WWII and my brother flew in Nam. I'm behind you all the way!!!
Come home safe!!!

Hey Kevin,
Dittos on the coming home safe. My Dad is a vet and my husband is too - I am so very proud of all of all the men and women serving in the military. You be sure and take care of yourself. You'll be in my prayers. HOORAH!

'04 Coupe
Borla Stinger 7.5" dual pipes
Sweeeet!

Old 08-10-2006, 02:39 PM

Even though I am a Canadian, I really appreciate folks like yourself who do what you do to keep us safe and free, my friend. Best wishes to you from your Canadian friends north of the border.....

Old 08-14-2006, 04:20 AM

I want to thank you all for your input. I finished putting her to bed this afternoon. She is covered with blankets, on jack stands, windows half way down, I put fuel stabilizer in and ran it a few minutes, and the battery is disconnected.

More importantly, I would like to thank you all for your kind words. It is greatly appreciated. I will not (most likely) be able to access this website from my deployed location...the Air Force/Government generally will not allow you to go to forums, internet mail, online auctions, etc....so everyone isn't on there slowing down the network for its "real world" needs. So I will be back on in a couple months!

Hey Dave, it's funny, I've had lots of offers from my friends....even a couple neighbors that saw me putting it on jack stands - to drive it once in a while to keep the engine lubed up!

Again, thanks for all your help and kind words.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:25 AM

Good luck, Kevin; we'll "see" you when you get back!

Dave

Old 08-14-2006, 02:40 PM

Best wishes, be safe and we look forward to chattin' again upon your return.[8D]

Old 08-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

I'll watch for your return, my best to you and your's.

Quick Reply: Storing my Z06