Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

To wear a Bra or not ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Default To wear a Bra or not ??

What are the opinions out there on placing a protective "bra," on the front of your 'vette??
I am really not into that "rock-chipped" look .

Any suggestions on brands ??

Thank you SO much!

Old 01-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: To wear a Bra or not ??

Never personaly used one but have help friends fix the damage caused by them. Not a good idea in my humble opinion.cheers

Old 01-29-2007, 06:28 PM

I've thrown in my two cents worth on this before. I think a bra looks uglier than any number of dings and scratches would, and can do minor damage: a friend that had oneon his red '92 which was often parked outside, and after only a couple of years there was a definate difference in the shade of red underneath the bra -- he now leaves it on mostly to cover the "redder" nose.

Personally, I think a few dings and chips just add character and a "I'm not a garage queen" look to a car, but I realize many people think I'm wrong.

do it however you want and don't worry too much what people think.I would advise to make sure youget a good one and make sure it is installed well so it does not flag and beat the body panels at speed.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:55 PM

Ok, ok, what damages ???
From using one?
Like trapped moisture?
Then why are they $700 ???
What if one were to remove it while the vehicle is parked??

Old 01-29-2007, 07:00 PM

Looks ugly?
The brand I see advertised is thin and transparent like. Almost clings like cellophane -- not those junky plastics ones which I agree do look crappy.
You know, get one that matches the color of your ride.
The perfect pointed nose of a vette is sooo beautiful, come on now, rock chips are out !![:'(]

Old 01-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Any and all auto bras if not secured properly and tight will undoubtedly move with the wind generated from driving. any movment will eventualy wear on the paint causing damage. this is not a maybe but rather a when.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:10 PM

OH!!!
So the flapping causes paint damage .
Hmmm.
Let's see, paint chips from a flapping bra versus rock chips.
Appreciate your input.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

It's a lot worse than paint chips. It tends to wear in a wide, deepline at the edges not to mention the dirt they hold under them and act like sand paper on your finish. It's your car do as you wish, but as Lee said small rock chips are the lesser of the two. Like I said I have reparied several paint jobs damaged from Bras. just trying to help. Cheers

Old 01-29-2007, 10:31 PM

the clear stick on bras work wonders...i was gunna get one for my 77 but with a macco paint job (came with the car, not my choice) i'll just wait till i got new paint...but yea the clear ones are awesome they dont trap dirt under them, they fade with the rest of the paint (so atleast the whole car is the same colour) and you cant see em! whats better than that...i just dont like the price tag...but ya get what you pay for!

Old 01-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

is there a web site for these "clear stick-on bras"? My mistake ...I guess...... I thought we were talking about the strap on type.

Quick Reply: To wear a Bra or not ??