To mod or not to mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Default To mod or not to mod

I was just wondering, will I lower or raise the value of an 04 Z06 by making modifications to it?

Old 03-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Default RE: To mod or not to mod

You will lower it with real heavy mods. A cat back and CAI, etc., won't do much one way or the other. Aftermarket wheels and tires -- its hard to tell -- generally you don't get your money back on the cost of the wheels. Headers are about as extreme as you can go and not really hurt the car's marketability on resale.

Heavy mods often really decrease the value of the car, as compared to stock, even if well done. Heads and cam kit? People assume the added power was used alot so the car has been driven hard, etc.

One option that often does result in a sellable car is to have a reputable tuner do the mods, installing one of their packages. A "Lingenfelter" package generally will sell for a premium, etc.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis
Heavy mods often really decrease the value of the car, as compared to stock, even if well done. Heads and cam kit? People assume the added power was used alot so the car has been driven hard, etc. ...
That's kind of what I was afraid of. I guess I'd be leery of a heavily modified car for that same reason.

Aftermarket wheels and tires -- its hard to tell -- generally you don't get your money back on the cost of the wheels.
Yeah, I can see that. And that's OK with me. While I love the looks of the C5s (and all vettes really), I'm not that interested in visual modifications. I'm more of a driver than a shower. In fact, I love sleepers.

One option that often does result in a sellable car is to have a reputable tuner do the mods, installing one of their packages. A "Lingenfelter" package generally will sell for a premium, etc.
That sounds like a really good option. They have some very nice packages. Although I'm not sure that I could get the votes from the board of directors (aka wife) to spend 15K on more HP. I might already be at my toy limit. If I can free up funds (why do kids need college anyway?) this would be the way to go.

It is a fairly fast vehicle stock. Maybe I should just leave it alone and have fun driving it "as is". I'm really on the fence about this.

Thanks for the info Lee.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:51 PM

Everything Lee said is correct, I just wanted to add that if you are planning to ever trade the car in as opposed to selling it privately the reason the resale value goes down is because it limits the amount of people we can sell the car too.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: PAY2PLAY

Everything Lee said is correct, I just wanted to add that if you are planning to ever trade the car in as opposed to selling it privately the reason the resale value goes down is because it limits the amount of people we can sell the car too.
Excellent point. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.