Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

07 dead :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Default 07 dead :(

Went to was h my 07 Friday and whenI went to turn it on the battery was dead I last drove it 3 days b4. 2 weeks prior, i had taken it in for a check engine light and the dealer found 14 codes. Said it could have been from sitting on the floor and the battery going low a few times. I was skeptical and now it wont even start. The power that was left in it sat the fobs were not detected. I even inserted one in the slot provided inside the glove box. Nothing.....

They flat bedded it to the dealer and I am awaiting the news.

Was going to buy a cold air intake, programmer and exhaust this week but now....I am gonna hold off for a bit. Hopefully this wont be a problem car. If so, its gone in short order.

Anyone else have this kind of issue?

Old 08-14-2007, 07:37 AM
Default RE: 07 dead :(

I have the same problem 2 times in the last 2 weeks. Car was fine for 8 months, but suddenly the battery goes dead if it sits more that 48 hours. The dealer is telling me that the owners manual says you must park the car in reverse in order to shutdown the electronics so that it will not kill the battery. In other words it is a user error. I wonder how many 07 vette owners know about this before they purchase. I know I would not have bought a vehicle that would let me stranded every time I parked it for a couple days and mistakenly did not put it in reverse. Mine will be short-lived also. Maybe under the lemon law.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:30 PM

Guys no offense, but this is common knowledge. I knew about this well in advance of my purchase ('07 vert) It dates back to the '05 C6. There are a lot of computers in the new vetts and its a drain on the battery if you don't park it in rev. That was never a problem for me because you're supposed to park all manual trans. vehicles in rev.and I've always drove a stick. Anyway, it definately won't qualify for a lemon law case. And if you park it for longer than a couple weeks then you should disconnect the neg batterycable anyway.But you guys have the fastest productioncar made for under 100 grand, so justdrive it.Problem solved.

[/align]

Old 08-16-2007, 09:34 PM

I would like to see exactly what type of loads there are on the battery with it left in 1st. I wonder what kind of amperage draw we are talking about here.

Anyone have a schematic handy?

Old 08-17-2007, 03:18 PM

ORIGINAL: BobbyZ

I would like to see exactly what type of loads there are on the battery with it left in 1st. I wonder what kind of amperage draw we are talking about here.

Anyone have a schematic handy?
A schematic would not resolve it: you'd have to get into the programming-- what the car shuts down after so long, etc.

We measured the power draw of both a C5 and an '06 standard C6 with an ammeter. In both cases, after the key is removed,the car seems to shut down the power draw in stages: five minutes or so, less when you come back four hours later, a bit less a day later, etc. The C6 in reverse drops power draw a lot (but not to zero).. Putting a C5 (at least my C5, in reverse makes no difference)

I can't remember the exact current #s (I'm out of town not at my desk at home now): neither car drew alot until you remembered it was 24-hours a day:and standard C6 consumes noticeably more power "at rest" than a C5 (a C5-ZO6 anyway). I do remember that I did a little calculation at the time we tested them and determined a C5 left in 1st with the ky out would draw down a typical battery to 15% of charge in about a little over a week and a C6 in only about four days (the C6 in reverse was something like 3-4 weeks).A new battery still ought to be able to start acar at 15%, but even a six-month old battery could be as much as 20% down from perfect depending on the situation.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:06 PM

seldom do i park my 07 z in reverse,but i got it in nov. and have 20 k on it now so it gets a work out.most it ever sat was 3 days no problems. make sure your fob isnt too close to the car when parked .like if ya park in your garage and hang the fob on the wall

Old 08-22-2007, 06:45 AM

Well, the verdict is in on what is really causing the battery damage to my 07. The power seat control on the passenger side was faulty. And no offense to the experts on this forum that have driven stick shifts for their entire lives, by the way I also fall into that category, but I would like to hear it from GM that the drain on the battery is such that it will cause permanent battery cell damage in 2 days. There are a lot of cars with far more electronics than my corvette has and they do not make the same claim.

Old 08-22-2007, 02:17 PM

35 years ago, GM put a reverse lockout in my 1975 Chevy Camaro.

I could not remove the key until I put it in reverse.

It would seem some simple technology from the 1970's would easily resolve this seemingly very frustrating situation.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:35 PM

ORIGINAL: 3BlkC4Ragtop

It would seem some simple technology from the 1970's would easily resolve this seemingly very frustrating situation.
only problem with that is the c6 doesn't take a key, it is pushbutton started. also, those of you driving a c6 with manual trans, if you watch the D.I.C. when you press the off button, it will tell you to shift to reverse.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:43 AM

ORIGINAL: hippy

ORIGINAL: 3BlkC4Ragtop

only problem with that is the c6 doesn't take a key, it is pushbutton started. also, those of you driving a c6 with manual trans, if you watch the D.I.C. when you press the off button, it will tell you to shift to reverse.
haha that's great.. I forgot about the no key thing.. same answer.. you say it here yourself.. if there is an OFF button.. then the car won't shut off till you put it in reverse. same difference.

I was just suggesting anyways.. I think it seems a bit odd the cars battery runs down if it's not in reverse.

Only way you could get past it would be to let the clutch out with it in gear and your foot on the brake.. kill it.

Quick Reply: 07 dead :(