Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

Best All Around Sports Car.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Default Best All Around Sports Car.

Anyone see this article from Road and Track? They rated 9 sports car and the Corvette C6 was ranked #1 overall.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=1949

It even beat the Viper around the track... man, I bet a few Viper owners were TO'd when this article came out...

"The roadster’s (Viper) lap times were blistering, recording a 66.60-sec. dash around the West Loop — reaching a top speed of more than 140 mph on the long straight, the highest of any present that day — but the Chevrolet Corvette nipped the Dodge at the finish line, with the Porsche Carrera S practically riding its rear bumper."

I guess sports cars need handling AND power ...

Old 07-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Default RE: Best All Around Sports Car.

Like most R&T articles, this one seems very comprehensive and balanced. But of all the cars in the test, I'd most prefer the Porsche (note the last sentence of their discussion of it says it is "the best sports car in the world under $100,000." -- and I agree). But it cost almost exactly twice the money for the vette, so it is hard to justify, particularly when you consider that if you have the money for the Porsche, who can buy the vette and spend the difference on mods, not only having lots of fun, but gaining performance you can't buy at any price elsewhere.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:39 AM

Tests of this type are IMHO almost worthless.

I own both the vette and the Porsche. In a serious race with a good driver I'd prefer to have the keys to the Porsche in my hand. It just handles better and I feel more comfortable pushing it to the limits. It runs on rails around tight bends, the vette slips a tad once in a while.

The vette is a great performance car on straights (electronics are over cooked and suck, but that doesn't matter to a racer).

I love my vette, but, I love my Porsche more! Outside of performance & handling, my opinion is also influenced by reliability......My 2005 C6 has been in the shop 3 times in 12 months, my Porsche doesn't know where the shop is yet!

Old 07-17-2006, 11:36 AM

My C5 was pretty reliable, I had it for 6 years and over 80,000 miles and no major problems... (no problems on the C6 yet, but have only had it a month).

I test drove a Boxter, it handled nice, but didn't have the raw power of my C6... I like getting pushed back in the seat when I hit the gas... that's the best feeling in the world.. didn't care for the interior of the Boxter either,.. seemed kinda stiff and uncomfortable (and no arm rest)..

To each his own.. alot of the drivers in the Road and Track article liked the Boxter... people all have different preferences..

But, for the price, and not even counting what cheap mods can do (like a free flow exhaust and cold air induction intake), the C6 is the best value.. and it makes me proud to be an American.. [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 07-17-2006, 08:57 PM

ORIGINAL: percentages

Tests of this type are IMHO almost worthless.

I own both the vette and the Porsche. In a serious race with a good driver I'd prefer to have the keys to the Porsche in my hand. It just handles better and I feel more comfortable pushing it to the limits. It runs on rails around tight bends, the vette slips a tad once in a while.

The vette is a great performance car on straights (electronics are over cooked and suck, but that doesn't matter to a racer).

I love my vette, but, I love my Porsche more! Outside of performance & handling, my opinion is also influenced by reliability......My 2005 C6 has been in the shop 3 times in 12 months, my Porsche doesn't know where the shop is yet!

With all due respect I disagree. First, tests like this are good because as the car mags themselves observe, it is only when you get a group of cars together than you can actually see the small, but important differences between them.

Second, I disagree quite a bit about the handling, etc. I own and drive both (see signature). My Porsche is the preferred daily driver because it has better balance (to me a bit different than handling, particularly at the limit) - which is maybe what you mean by handling, and it feels lighter, but mostly, its a bit more comfortable and it has a back seat, useful for hauling groceries and other stuff from the store, etc. Frankly, I consider it to be one notch "softer" and a bit less involving of a car, which is what an old guy like me wants in a daily driver. (I equate the GT3 version with a 'vette as far as that goes). Plus, to be frank, my Porsche is the less expensive and more replaceable car to wear out driving to and from work, etc. (the engine in my 'vette cost about what I paid for the Carrera new and I expect it only to last only about 50,000 miles).

But when pushed hard the 'vette corners about .07 G faster, turns in quicker and transitions in switchbacks much better, and it communicates the limits it is reached at both ends of the car more linearly (at least to me and my son) -- that is what handleing means to me. Finally, the Porsche has a bit of understeer -- and I have had the alignment dialed in perfectly, too -- very strange given the well deserved reputation Porsche earned years ago for oversteer, whereas the 'vette is almost neutral - also strange given the 345s on the rear with only 275s on the front.

As to reliability, here I think you just had back luck. Both my vette and the Camaro were rock solid -- in a total of 40,000 miles of stock ownership neither went back to the dealer or had anything break. The Porsche is also perfect so far (only 13,000).

Old 07-17-2006, 09:55 PM

Sounds like you like the Porsche more, Lee. Is it the better all around car?

Old 07-18-2006, 12:41 AM

As a daily driver, yes, I prefer it - for the reasons I gave above. It's also nicer for weekend getaway trips; the back seat gives it a bit more convenient luggage space, etc. , and with all the glass it has a nice airy feel to it when traveling.

But I love the 'vette much more: It is something special to me and I'll never part with it, whereas the Porsche, while the best daily driver I've ever had, is just another car, even if a really good one. I'll replace it in a few years, very likely with another Carrera given how pleased I am with it and the rumors they are going to add two more cylinders soon, but I am also looking hard at Aston Martin (it would have to be the V12 - the V8 doesn't have a back seat and feels a bit crowded inside as a result of that and the low roofline). Sure looks more beautiful, though. I'll see what's available in about two-three years.

Old 07-19-2006, 03:32 AM

>but I am also looking hard at Aston Martin

I looked hard at the Aston when I purchased the Porsche (it is a close call)........but, decided the Porsche was better value for money. If money didn't matter at all I would have bought the Aston, especially as I'm British! One day!

I bought the C6 for my wife to primarily drive, she's been driving loaners from GM more often than the C6, so now I wish I had bought her the Aston or another Porsche instead!

Two weeks and counting in the shop for a dead battery and a screwed up roof

I live in the USA......I love the USA, but, I really don't think America can make good quality cars anymore!

Old 07-19-2006, 10:37 AM

One thing I think most people on this site will agree with: it is best never to buy a new GM model in its first year: GM seems unable to get new models and features, particularly electronics, sorted out until a year or two into production -- a problem they have had for over a decade (there is a Cadillac Eldorado sport coupe in my past that taught me this lesson).

Still, sorry to hear you had all those problems with your C6. They are a good car, basically.

I like the Aston a lot, although I was shocked at how small it is. The V8 is 5 inches shorter than a 911 Carrera and feels much smaller inside. I read about that and saw photos but when you see the car up close and personal the first thought is, "Damn, its about the size of a Miata." But the V12 is a bit bigger and roomier, but with 550 HP, even a better performer. My son works for Ford and so he can get me a significant discount, so there may be one in my future.