Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

break in period rehash...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Default break in period rehash...

im sure this has been discussed at length here, but im a newbie, so endulge me......

i understand theres a break in period of 500 or 1k miles... but i called the dealer who sold me the car and he told me to just drive it like i wanna drive it, and not observe any break in period....

i got the car up to 90 mph on the first day, with less than 50 miles on it... will this hurt the car? thats probably as fast as it will ever go unless it falls off a cliff....

and do i need to change the oil after the first 1k miles? or is this folklore?

the car is an 07 coupe.... did i mention i almost wet my pants when i drove it the first time? does everyone have that feeling the first time they drive a vette?

Old 03-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Default RE: break in period rehash...

I've haven't had any problems with driving a new car like i stole it. I am a newbie too. I don't know if that helped!Just have fun with it!!

Old 03-28-2007, 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Ringo

the car is an 07 coupe.... did i mention i almost wet my pants when i drove it the first time? does everyone have that feeling the first time they drive a vette?

I have that feeling everytime I drive our Corvette!!

Nice car, my friend!!! Post some pictures, if you can?

Old 03-28-2007, 02:39 PM

Name:  vettes.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  98.3 KB

ill have more pics soon... took that one with my camera phone... makes a fine photo dont it... lol

the red 92 is my dads car...

Old 03-28-2007, 02:43 PM

BEEEEEE-OOOOO-TEEEEE-FUL! Love 'em!!!

Prepare to be overcome with Corvette Fever, my friend. You'll find yourself waking up at 3:00 am with thoughts of your beloved Vette dancing in your head. You will get up. You will walk to the garage, sometimes in a semi-catatonic state. You will open the door. You will stare for hours on-end.

Me? I store everything in our garage. That way, whenever Mrs. TopSpeed says "I need...!", I can immediately respond with "I'll go get that from the garage..." Of course, it takes at least 20 minutes to find those pesky garbage bags, and oh well, might as well stare at the car in the meantime...

Old 03-28-2007, 02:47 PM

omg, theres a name for the fits ive been having????? ive even taken to feeding the cats... who, BTW, share the garage with the car... im currently working on a solution for that... but so far they have stayed away from it.

i bought it to drive on saturdays only, but it has already seen a sunday and a monday, and im feeling real serious about showin it a wednesday when i get home from work.....

Old 03-28-2007, 02:55 PM

omg, theres a name for the fits ive been having?????
*nods emphatically* Oh my God, yessir, there shoor is!!!! You'll find everyone on this forum is fully infected. And contageous. I gave it to my wife, when we got our Corvette.

ive even taken to feeding the cats... who, BTW, share the garage with the car... im currently working on a solution for that... but so far they have stayed away from it.
*thumps on desk* Bwaaaaaaahahahaha!!! See? That's the first symptom, right there! Chronic-spend-time-in-the-garage-osis!!

i bought it to drive on saturdays only, but it has already seen a sunday and a monday, and im feeling real serious about showin it a wednesday when i get home from work.....
Oh my God, my friend.... you have no idea.

I won't go on ad-nauseum like I tend to when talking Corvette's, but let's just say I wanted this car we got for over 20 years. It was a driving force in life for me. I bought a Mustang Cobra GT a number of years ago, as a stop-gap measure to not owning a Corvette. The activity failed, and the fever got worse.

Anyways, when we got our Corvette, it took us 3 months to find the car. When we picked it up that day, oh my God, bro, talk about excited. I said to Mrs. TopSpeed, "I'll just drive it to and from work for just a couple months... wanted this car forever, I *NEED* to drive it regularily for a couple months. Yeh. Then, we'll park it, and I'll get something else to go to-and-fro from the ol' office."

Flash forward 9 months. You ain't gettin' me outta that cockpit anytime soon, my friend. Ain't gonna happen. I have actually embraced it all now, and am no longer in denial. I am going to drive this car each and every day, until they dig a 6ft hole to put me in... at which time, I'll be buried in the Corvette.

Might as well face the facts, my friend. You've got it. And you've got it BAD!

Old 03-28-2007, 06:14 PM

read the manual

Old 04-01-2007, 09:02 PM

I too just bought a 2007 vette and even though it was hard, I followed the manual recommendations (for the most part) and stayed under 80 or so for the first 1000 miles. Now all limits are off. Are you serious about not going over 90 ? Because if you are then you have alot more willpower than I. As far as an oil change, I follow the cars intgrated oil change system. I can't believe that it wouldlead me astray. Hope I helpeda little and have fun with your car(don't worry so much)

Old 04-05-2007, 01:27 AM

Mine is also the 2007Monterey Red - but is a convertible. When it had about 200 miles on it I quite inadvertently hit the rev limiter in 2nd gear (damn thing was doing about 82 mph in 2nd)and I was doing about 110 mph before I realized what was happening. No damage. It's a very strong engine, butI have not exceeded 105 ever since then in order to baby it. It's a little different from my old 2004 BMW 330ci....