Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

Building a 465 HP C6

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Default Building a 465 HP C6

What do I need to convert my LS2 with 400 HP to the 465 HP version. Stupid question but would the 465 be denied warranty work

Old 12-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Default RE: Building a 465 HP C6

Warranty: it might -- 1) if something you add or work that is done screws something up, 2) if there is even any question it caused a problem (example, you put on headers, and subsequently a catalytic converter fails, the dealer would say, "your probme buddy").

465 HP (flywheel equivalent) is no problem. It's roughly a 16% increase so it will require some serious bolt ons but: a) the stock bottom end should take it, as well as the drive line, and b) you can just get there without new heads.

I would recommend:
A good cold-air induction kit,
Long tube headers, a good set, 1/ 3/4 inch diameter
A good cat back exhaust
High-ratio rockers (1.8:1, etc., or better, a high lift higher duration cam-with the lifter-pushrod-rockers and springs required to do it justice. Buy a known brand from a reputation firm and take the advice of the techs in their customer support group on what to buy, etc.
Re-tuning at a GOOD shop.
This should net you about 15-18%. It is as far as you can go without new heads or other, now-expensive mods.

Old 12-20-2006, 12:37 AM

here is another option. I put a procharger on mine, ended up with 460 RWHP. I installed it
myself, and it was easier than adding headers, exhaust, and the cam. I guess there is a bunch of ways to get there. the lowest cost, would be a nitrous kit! just make sure whatever you do,to
have the fuel mixture tuned in by a pro.(very critical)
Ray (have done other mods, now has 565RWHP)

Old 12-20-2006, 07:39 AM

A supercharger will definately deliver big HP easily, but a Procharger is a lot more money, although a SCr would be the only sure-fire way to get 465 rear wheel HP: But here I got the impression here we were talking about 465 flywheel HP equivalent, say about 405 RWHP, and the mods listed ought to just barely do the trick. Headers and a cat back are something you can put on easily yourself if you can rent a lift (or, with more difficulty, you can do it on ramps in your driveway), the cold air is easy to add, and the high-lift rocker route something many folks can handle with a buddy.

I also hae a natural aversion to "nuking it" with a SCr until all the really benign changes have been made. What I like about headers and CAI is that they are making things easier onan engine: easier to get engine air in and exhaust out, so there is very little additional wear and stress on the engine in return for the added power.

And I am not so happy with my Procharger that I would recommend one. It gave a lot of trouble until it was rebuilt with the A&A Corvettes front bracket and idler pulley system. A much better one (had it on the stock engine in my vette for two years and it was flawless) is the Magnusen - perfect fit, perfect operation, and much more low end torque and a much more glorious whine at full boost. Of course it means you have to replace the hood with a high rise model, but it is worth it.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:53 AM

Thanks guys. I may tackle the cam/headers/tune after the first of the year. I don't forsee a SC in my future..at least not with this car.