Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

c6 upgrade zo6 fenders/bumper

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Default c6 upgrade zo6 fenders/bumper

My C6 has plenty of power due to a complete power build up from loads of parts from westcoastcorvette.com. Now my problem is traction, along with looks. Its pretty much stock exterior. WCC offers a ZO6 rear fender converstion to fit wider wheel/tire assembly. Which is described as all original GM parts. Im pretty hooked up with my local chevy dealership so price isnt really an issue, but Im wondering if the front fenders and bumper will be a direct bolt on swap as well. Any information will be helpful.

Thanks.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Default RE: c6 upgrade zo6 fenders/bumper

They'll probably fit if you have a body shop align them well.

What mods did you have done to the engine and what RWHP did you get as a result?

Old 06-16-2007, 07:02 PM

WCC has been the majority of my aftermarker supplier. I installed a Stage 4 kit. Thats thermostat, x-pipe, headers, intake, heads, cam, computer, gaskets, wires and a Pro Charger supercharger. I havent dynoed it yet, but I will soon. I estimate around 700+ total so maybe like 650+ or so on the ground.

I too think that the fenders and bumper will fit. It makes a lot of sense to me and after talking to my corvette fanatic at the Chevy dealer, he agrees.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:51 AM

Sounds like you have a good car. Some unsolicited comments and advice about your power estimate, which I think is high: more likely your car is making about 525-550 RWHP right now, but that can be fixed.

I'm familair with the WCC Stage kits. The AFR heads are quite good (I have a set with enlarged 225 ports on the Camaro) and the rest of the material is good, standard aftermarketstuff, too - high quality. Depending on the cam, these kits produce about 415-450 HP at the wheels (i.e., between 65 and100 more RWHP than stock), but low-end torque and driveability suffer quite a bitwith cams that make HP in the upper end of that range.

Power added by putting a Procharger on top of a Stage 4 kit will depend on which model Procharger, how it is set up, and the intercoolers it has, and if cam in the Stage 4 kit is compatible with a blower (cams in most kits like this aren't even close to optimum for a blown set up). Regardless, the standard P model Procharger will be hard pressed to blow enough air to push much past 565 RWHP no matter what you do, and it will really be doing work and stressed to its limit there. A D1SC can certainly blow enough air to go to 650 at the wheels (I have one and its notat its limit at over 700 RWHP). Note that until very recently, P and D1 models had a flaw that would cause the the stock idler/tensior plate to warp if they were run beyond about 525 RWHP: you can check with Procharger and they will be able to tell you if your model has the old plate and they will offer a return-to-factory rebuild if it does. A&A Corvettes used to sell an upgrade to fix this better than Procharger's fix, but I don't know if they still do.

You didn't mention if and to what size fuel injectors you use and WCC's web site doesn't mention any upgraded injectors included with the Stage 4 kit. Stock injectors, even heavily reprogrammed, literally run out of gas at about 450 RWHP (about the limit of the Stage IV, so its not suprirsing they aren't included). Unless you have upgraded the injuectors, you run the risk of going lean under boost with a SCr. Problem is, even the largest injectors you can upgrade to with the stock rails and electrics(Ford green top) can't provide enough fuel for more than about 615 RWHP without going to 120+% injector duty (which means a both a short life and very sloppy injector timing). For anything over that limit, you really needto upgrade to a new set of rails and super-duty injectors, ones so large they requirean injector activatorupgrade kit(this boosts current to the injectors over what the the stock ECM and controller can provide -- they don't have the electrical power to open and close bigger injectors fast enough).

Finally, two points about potential durability at whatever power level you have right now. First: the stock bottom end on an LS2, and its standard hypereutectic pistons,will take only about 500 RWHP before coming apart: 650 RWHP will destroy your engine in very short order. If your goal is truly 650 RWHP, thenWCC or any number of other aftermarket supppliers (SLP, MTI, etc.) can provide a good upgraded bottom end short block for you. Second, if you don't know the dyno numbers for your car thenits becausethe ECM wasnot retuned while on a dyno (otherwise the shop would have given you the dyno sheets or at least told you the max number). Mail order reprogrammers and quick shop-floor tunes of the ECM just don't have the bandwidth to handle the type of mods you have: injector duty, boost level, and major changes in breathing aremajor changes. The only way to get it right is to have a really good shop tune it while at load on a dyno with full A/F and ECM monitors. Otherwise, you are almost certainly not getting the power you want, and potentially running lean or over-duty on the injectors and harming the engine.

Good luck.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:33 AM

Lots of very useful information. It goes to show you how much $ can not buy brains. There are a few speed shops locally i will look into about the dyno tuning, and i will have to research the injectors. I do go through gas quickly but, I wouldnt have thought it to be a lean condition. I just know I cant keep my foot off the floor. It sounds like a call to procharger is in order as well.

thanks for everything.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:13 PM

You could be running rich most of the time, probably are if you notice fuel economy suffering. The danger of lean running is only a full throttle at high RPM and face it: you do that only a few seconds a day compared to running around at 1/10th throttle most of the time pon the street: my vette runs a bit (about .5) rich in those ranges by choice (for better trainsient throttle response), but an untuned one might be running very rich. You just never know with mods: theECM is 'smart" and tries to compensate but big mods confuse it. The danger is that it could be telling the injectors to dump more fuel than they can at full throttle high RPMand running lean -- and that can burn piston tops in only a few tens of seconds of flat out running.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:29 PM

I have a C6, very similarly set up like yours,
and it dynoed out at 565 RWHP.
I installed the Z06 quarters, and wheels. it was
an easy swap. everything fit good, no alignment
problems. I did not switch out the front fenders,
but it should be easy also! use all GM parts.
it did not require any drilling, or body work,
other than using a screw-gun. most of the screws
were Torx heads.
enjoy your car. The Z06 tires improved
traction quite a bit!
Ralph

Old 08-20-2007, 12:17 PM

Hi Ray tools! What do you think of the Lingenfelter Hood. The one with the wider slot in it? I also thought about doing the Z06 appearance packagebutafter the charger I can't spend that much more money (according to the Mustang lovin husband). What color is your Vette? Do you have any pictures of it? Since my car has the blower, I am looking for a cheaper way to set it apart at car shows.I don't want to get too crazy with the appearance but I also want to be different!

Old 09-11-2007, 11:49 PM

Mr. Willis, I have a cam question. I posted earlier aboutincreasing the power of my 07 with the same wcc package. you recomended the magna charger instead. Would you still recommend the magnacharger over the stage 4 kit with a mild cam on a 402 stoker. Extreme performance in AZ is quoting me a good price for a fully built stroker, but I'm worried about the drivability issues. The goal would be 500whp. Is this possible?