Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

GHL exhaust ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Default GHL exhaust ??

My C6 has about 6400 miles on it. We bought the car used with the exhaust system already on. The check engine light came on about600 to 1000miles ago. We have a stainless steel GHL headers and exhaust on it and are wondering if this is why the light is on. We had a friend of ours put it on the computer and it shows emission problem. We are waiting on an appointment with our local Chevy dealer to put it on a GM computer, but are wondering if this is due to our GHL exhaust system. Is it OK to drive it this way?[/align]
[/align]Anyone have this problem or can help me out here?[/align][/align]Also, the Resonance noise inside is horrible! Very loud when your at 1500 to 1800 RPM's. Anyone else have this problem? I have sent off an email to GHL about this.[/align][/align]Your comments are appreciated! [/align][/align]

Old 06-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Default RE: GHL exhaust ??

Well, if the car ran fine for more than about 50-60 miles with the GHL exhaust on it before the check engine light came on (i.e., the light was off when you bought it and for 50+ miles afteryou bought it, then that is most likely NOT the problem. You may have bad O2 sensors or something: always suspect that on 'vettes with headers.

The dealer may be able to fix it but my experience is that dealers usually don't/won't work well with any modifications and tend to: a) blame anything you expect GM to pay for on the mods, b) work rather procedurally and ineffectively on the problems if you are paying for it

I'd find a really good local shop that has LS1 edit and a dyno and take the car to them.

If it is the O2 sensors, ask the shop to put in dummies and maybe re-program the ECM slightly.

By the way, I have a GHL exhaust on my car ( but Kock's headers, not GHL) - they are very good, if expensive. I have no resonance -- my exhaust is a flow through and they are quite good at not having any resonance.