Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

GTO question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Default GTO question?

I wasan owner of a LS2 GTOin which i traded for a 2008 corvette (much better car . Well anyways whydo GTO owners think they can take the corvettes when iam formerly a owner and know what would happen if a stock GTO tries a C6. So when i speak thetruth i thenget trashed.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Default RE: GTO question?

I don't know I think it is rediculous too. My uncle had an LS2 GTO, I drove it, it was quick but not crazy fast like a Vette. They are too heavy and don't pull like a Vette. After he drove my car he knew which was faster the Vette and I had a LS2 Vette at the time. Now I'm waiting for my '09 LS3. I raced a couple of those on the road andblew them away. No stock GTO can touch a Vette LS2 or LS3!

Old 08-12-2008, 07:03 PM

Well, the owners know they own a fast car. Probably they doubt they can take a 'vette, but you never know, and even if they don't, they get to see a good show.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:36 PM

I must admit most know they can't but when you go to South Jersey by Englishtown, every GTO owner down there swears their stoke GTO's can take Vettes, not run with them but take them. I just don't see the logic? Yes, you could have a bad driver in the Vette, but surely once he gets going he could make up ground and quickly catch than pass the GTO. But I agree with you Lee Willis most do know that they own a fast car, faster than a Mustang for sure, but they also know their place and it is not in front of a Vette, the halo car of GM!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:44 PM

I dont think a sane GTO owner thinks their car with the same motor weighing 500lbs more is faster then the Vette, but its close enough that anything can happen due to driver errors and if the GTO is an M6 and the vettes an auto on a roll in the 40-50mph zone. My GF has a C6 LS2 and I own an LS2GTO that I use as my daily driver because the vettes too low and not practical/logical to beat up and park in the city. I have raced a few LS2 Vettes and and a couple Z06 C5s and they aren't much faster then my stock GTO on a roll. Off the line, the Vettes almost 0.5 seconds faster and in the quarter, its almost 7/10ths faster on paper. That equates to several cars lengths in a race from a dead stop to about 110-115mph. However, take away the launch and they are only a car or two away from 50-100mph. I raced an auto C6 against my M6 and from 40-100, the Vette never left my rear fender. Its obvious that the Vettes a superior sports car, but since regular highways and roads are not that challenging, the two cars seem closer matched then they really are. My biggest issue with the GTO is that the tires are too narrow, that its a spin fest if you try to get it moving off the line. My GFs vette just launches out perfectly with just a hint of wheel hop if the roads a little wet.

I always ask another question. Why do Vette owners think their car is alot faster then the GTO when its really not. All the GTO needs is another 50hp (headers/tune/intake) worth of mods and its neck and neck with a stock Vette. My old 3000gt used to decimate Vettes from a dead dig solely from the advantages of traction and being able to bring to 5000rpms when it launches, but on a roll, it would get killed and if the Vette actually kept the race up to 120mphthe VR-4 would get passed hard. Yet, I would get thumbs down from Vette guys and that look like "what are you kidding rice boy?!"-the thing is, the VR-4 was priced like a Vette, offered more for the moneybutVette guys always have a chip on their shoulder as if itsan Eclipse. Thats like calling the Vette a Camaro.Now, the VR-4 has a little under 500awhp on pump gas, so its a little more potent, not that a modded Vette isn't tremendously more mod friendly, cause as we all know it depends on the size of your wallet-watch pass time tonight at 11:30p.m. if you want to see a really fast VR4/Stealth9 second/160s traps which it could do on street tires any day of the week

Now, I am actually looking into a used 2006 C6 Z06 since the GTO doesn't make a great garage queen and isn't a great commuter car since the price of gas is so rediculous. The resale value of anything GM is so pitiful it makes sense to buy used even if I had the money to throw away in depreciation after a year for a new one. $50k is a steal for what you get in the new Z06 and its a super car a normal guy can work on and maintain.