Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

Do leaf springs suck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Default Do leaf springs suck?

Do leaf springs suck or does British Television?

http://powertvonline.com/video_detail.php?mId=2586

Even though the Vette outdid the Porsche 911 GT3 these British dickweeds slammed the C6 over "leaf springs".... WTF?

Old 08-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Default RE: Do leaf springs suck?

Leaf springs suck. GM has the best engineering in the world and they manage to work miracles with leaf springs on the 'vette, but the bottom line is that the suspension is just okay - monster tires several sizes more than used on cars of compareable performance with better suspensions, a low center of gravity, and lots of power make up for the deficinecy.

But leaf springs are inexpensive, which allows GM to offer the 'vette at what, for its performance, is a bargain price. When it comes to offering value for the money, GM is the best in the world. Porsche (strut) has a better suspension in its most of its "mid range ($50-$100K) cars , and Aston Martin and Ferrari and Porsche on the GT2 usedouble wishbone all around the best type available, but it costs a lot more to make.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:49 PM

I agree that GM works miracles with the Vette and it's leaf springs, but they are not great. The fact is for the price your getting a Vette it wouldn't be cost effective to put a higher grade suispension in the car for GM. And if the Vette has a weak spot, I think we would all agreeit is their leaf spring suspension. But, for the money your paying you couldn't ask for a better car. I've owned 3 350Z's, 1 Mercedes S-Class, 1 Porsche, and 5 Corvette's. As you can see by the count, I would never drive anythingelse for the money.

You can't ask for a better all around car. And, there is afeeling you get when you have a Corvette that just feels different than any other car, you just feelextra-special in it. I can't explain it. But, with Corvette's winning history on your side you can't go wrong. I would buy a Vette over any Porsche no doubt. You throw me a Porsche GT1, GT2, GT3, I would just trade it for the Z06. You throw me a 911 Turbo, and I just laugh and get a ZR1!

But, as time goes on andGM continues to raise the price on theVette every year it will eventually be almost a no-brainer to throw in a better suspension to compete with other cars.Even though they really don'thave to do it. Because, as we all know the Vette can holdits own on a course and race track, especially with a Z51 suspension.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:18 AM

I just couldnt fathom why they were trashing the Vette so much on the show, particularly after the car scored toward the better end on the track lap time... couldnt see from the video what the other cars were but the Vette did better than the Porsche 911 and was close behind Lamborghini...

This was a stock 06 C6, I bet when they review a Z06 or ZR1 that British dork will still be repeating over and over "LEAF SPRINGS!?? LEAF SPRINGS!? LEAF SPRINGS!??" as if repeating it multiple times can make up for the fact that an American car that costs signicantly less can still post better lap times than their favorites...

I think they are still bent out of shape over that Boston tea party thing...

Old 08-13-2008, 08:20 PM

I've owned a recent 'vette (leaf springs), a very recent Porsche Carrera (struts/arms) and my current Aston (double wishbone). It is the old saw: the more you spend the more you get. The double wishbone is the best, by far, but Chevy does a lot with the leaf springs and on a bang for the buck basis delivers real value.

Still, it is time for GM to move on. They need four wheel drive at the power levels they are delivering on the top end of their 'vette product line, and better suspension geometry all around.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:17 PM

I agree that it would be cool to see an optional AWD system for the Corvette, but itprobably won'thappen anytime soon for two reasons.
#1:GM wouldthink twice abouttaking away a very important part to the Vette's leagcy which is RWD power, it would be too much of a turnoff to alot of buyers.

#2: AWD would probably give the Vettea loss inMPG and with CAFE restrictions already putting the Vette in a corner it would be foolish to do it now.

Although, I do think that the Vette will eventuallygo to mid-engine, not too soon, in my opinion.That seemsto be the futurefor this car at some point.Even though, to me, I could care less. I'm fine with RWD, front engine, high-powered V8. The fact is a mid-engine Vette would cost a significantdifference to make for GM. Therefore, it would cost more for buyers and I don't know if GM wants to go that route, it would make theVette unreachable for alot of people. and the idea of a Corvette is an affordable sports car that can play with the supercars.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:30 PM

Why does the Corvette website claim it has double wish-bone suspension? Does transverse composite springs = "leaf springs"

From. www.corvette.com

Double-Wishbone Suspension

[hr]

Coupe and convertible feature a Short/Long Arm (SLA) double-wishbone suspension with forged-aluminum A-arms and transverse composite springs. The suspension is capable of .92g road-holding ability on the skid pad (.98g with available Z51 Performance Package).
Z06 uses a similar geometry with wider wheels and tires to achieve a 1.04g lateral acceleration figure.
Three suspension choices are available for coupe and convertible: the standard suspension, Magnetic Selective Ride Control and the Z51 Performance Package.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:35 PM

Well, itall depends on how you interpret"wishbone" Chevy is applying more than a bit of advertiseing "puffery" if you ask me. The classic double wishbone suspension uses two wishbones with a coil spring passing between them, usually supporting the cars weight to a tower above from the lower arm, sometimes the other way around though. Regardless, their axis and lengthes are dialed in (usually adjustable) to provide optimum geometry.

The vette uses one wishbone-like arm and part of the leaf spring augmented by some other geometry as the other wishbone" (suspension arm) if you consider that a "wishbone" then the definition fits. The issue as I see it is, while the design is super-efficient from a cost standpoint (the spring also acts as a suspension arm, saving parts and assembly effort)the leaf spring does not have a precise length (it bends) nor does it rotate around an absolutelyfixed axis (since it changes length slightly)like in the classic design, and the spring pressure is applied higher up that in the true double wishbone.

Good engineering avoids most of the downsides of this, at least on smooth roads.On my way home every day from the office the next to last corner I take is a smooth 30 mph left corner that has a nasty rise (gentle but very noticeable bump) in the middle of it. The vette would react by really bouncing over it and if I got on the power, shifting sideways just a bit and becoming unsettled. The Porsche handled it well and could put about 40% power down before becoming just very slightly out of balance: much petter. The Aston? It sweeps right through: the car communicates to me that the bump was there, but it is undisturbed and it puts down its power smoothly, maintaining its line, even with a lot of throttle applied.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:13 AM

Lee, do you have the magnetic ride control option on your vette? Would that help on the bump? I imagine the Z51 would be worse, but may be better on smooth turns?

Old 08-15-2008, 03:30 PM

I had an '02 ZO6, and then when modified bits and pieces from a C5R rear suspension in place, but not the whole thing. The electronic control would probably help, but while electronics can help response it can't change the basic geometry. I imagine the z51 is a bit better, probably about like the Porsche.