Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

Has anyone used those new six-speed paddle shift tansmissions Vettes, just wondering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:52 PM
Default Has anyone used those new six-speed paddle shift tansmissions Vettes, just wondering?

I have never driven the new 6-speedpaddle shift Vettes, I've heard that it is the basic idea used the same in a Ferrari or BMW, but I've never been in one or obviously driven one, I've driven my firends old 4-speed auto, it was powerful but nothing like driving a stick, but I've heard the new paddle shift Vette is fun, I also wanted to know what it is compairable to, if anyone has any idea please respond?

[/align]

Old 07-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Default RE: Has anyone used those new six-speed paddle shift tansmissions Vettes, just wondering?

Well, the 6-speed in the current 'vette is not a direct sequential shift transmission like in the Ferraris and BMWs - those are essentially manual transmissions with electronically controlled clutches, shifting, all coordinated by the drive-by wire throttle integration.
By contrast the C6 A6 isbasically a traditional auto transmission but with six gears instead of four: closest thing to it is the paddle-shiftTiptronic used by Porsche and Audi, or the paddle shift transmission in some Acuras. I drove a C6 with that transmission and in full auto mod around town it was fine. However, I did not like the way it downshifts when you kick down the throttle (when its in auto mode)t-- still a bit too much delay and no throttle coordination as with most powerful European autos (Porsche and Mercedes AMG's paddle shift autos, etc.). When shifting manually it is about like the Audi Tiptronic -- a bit slow to shift but okay.Where it really fell down compared tomy Porsche was when the shift lever is in automatic but you use the paddles to override the auto shifting -- I guess Porsche has been working on this for years so they have this programmed just right (at least for me) but the 'vette seemed to shift very slowly in this situation and not always understand how long to hold the gear, etc. Some of this might be that it was just different than what I've ben used to.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Default RE: Has anyone used those new six-speed paddle shift tansmissions Vettes, just wondering?

[/align]Thanks for the response, I heard it was suppossed to be like a Ferrari, but I was skeptical I figured it would be more like the M3's, but I know the M3's havce alot of problems with those electronically, my friend has one and traded it in for a standard six speed manual, well I was just wondering thanks for the input I appreciate it!

Old 07-26-2007, 01:02 PM

After my wife, in tears, told me to get what I want (the manual), I went and drove both. I liked both, but I ended up with the paddles for thes reasons: First, I didn't buy it to race at Heartland. So under city driving conditions - while not hotrodding, the auto was much more fun to drive - a no-brainer with gobs of umph. Second, when I do want to control my gear, the paddles are great fun and have proven more than adequate. Were I racing it, the manual would be the obvious choice. Of course, it would also be a Z06 ;o)

Though quick enough for me (for now), I would get the '08 which promises 50% quicker upshifts and 70% faster downshifts, 35 more ponies and a rear end option. Sadly, I bought five weeks ago. In the midst of living the dream it didn't occur to me to see what '08 promised. Drive them both. Happy hunting!