Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

How many C6 owners know that you must park them in reverse in order to shutdown the electronics?

Old 08-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Default How many C6 owners know that you must park them in reverse in order to shutdown the electronics?

Trying to find out how many C6 owners are aware that they must park their standard shifts in reverse to save the battery. It might also be helpful to know how many knew before they purchased the vehicle.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Default RE: How many C6 owners know that you must park them in reverse in order to shutdown the electronics?

I read your other post, so I sort of know the answer. But why? So when you park uphill you also have to engage reverse (instead of a proper 1st gear) and risk the car sliding backwards?

I'm new to this as I'm learning about Corvettes and this the second strange item I found. The first was the 1st-4th gear start pattern. [:-]

Old 08-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Default RE: How many C6 owners know that you must park them in reverse in order to shutdown the electronics?

Well, you can get rid of the forced 1-4 shift by installing an i-Cags.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:01 PM

It doesn't matter if the shifter is in first or reverse, the engine will act as a brake the same way. Now if you put it in 6th it wouldn't brake very well, due to the gear ratio (more revs at the wheels to fewer revs at the motor gives more mechanical advantage to the wheels to turn the engine over against the force of compression).

Old 08-14-2007, 09:27 PM
pg

Hi cfmosier, and welcome to the forum, so you have to put the car in reverse, so that's the way there made, what's the problem?
On a C-3 automatic you have to put it in "N" apply the parking brake and shift into "P". PG.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:43 AM

The problem is that if you do not know that, or you mistakenly do not put it in reverse, the battery will go absolutely dead, to the point there is cell damage, and you will need to replace the battery or have it towed. We use our 07 Corvette as an everyday vehicle and have been stranded 2 times in the past 2 weeks and did not know why. The Chevy dealer has diagnosed it as a user error in that we must not have parked in it reverse. I just wanted other 07 owners to know that if they are experiencing battery problems when the car sits for 2 days, it may be that they are not parking it in reverse. I haven't found it in the owner's manual yet, because the car is still in the dealer's service, but they assured me it is in there somewhere. When I get the car back, I will post what page it is on. I also do not remember being instructed when I purchased it, that if you do not park it in reverse the battery will go dead within 48 hours and you will need a new battery, jump or tow.
I hope that helps to explain why it is so important and possibly a big deal. If your spouse gets stranded, like mine did, it can be confrontational. What is that Dr. Phil says? If Mom's not happy, nobody is happy.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:57 PM

Straight from page 105 of the owners manual:
[align=left]Parking Your Vehicle[/align][align=left](Manual Transmission)[/align][align=left]Before you get out of your vehicle, move the shift lever into REVERSE (R) and firmly apply the parking brake. Once the shift lever has been placed into REVERSE (R) with the clutch pedal pressed in, you can turn the ignition off and release the clutch.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]However, after my perusal of the owners manual and supplementsI could not locate a statementora notice (such as the 1-4 shift light notice) that failure to do so will cause damage of any kind. [/align][align=left][/align][align=left]I would love to see a wiring diagram to figure out how this is draining the battery.[/align]

Old 08-15-2007, 06:07 PM
pg

Hi again, I can understand why your so pi$$ed, a brand new car with a dead battery because the dealer never told you to put it in Rev.

Then your spouse gets stuck! I can relate to that.
It will be fixed soon enough and then you can enjoy it for all the reasons you bought it. PG

Old 08-27-2007, 09:53 AM

Page 101 1>4 more info on page 195 hope this explains why.It's a great feature in traffic.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:19 PM

I've heard about this, but still haven't seen an explanation for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many C6 owners know that you must park them in reverse in order to shutdown the electronics?