Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

Inclimate weather

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Default Inclimate weather

Hello everyone. Newbie here with a quick question. Im in the market for a c6 and trying to get a couple of my concerns smoothed out before i take the plunge. I was wondering how everyone's c6 handled in the rain. I would be using this thing for a daily driver. Im from Dallas Texas so we dont see terrible snowstorms but every year we usually have one or two icy days. Am i SOL with this car or does the stabilitrac and traction control acually hold up. Much apreciated

Old 08-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Default RE: Inclimate weather

Well, on the stock tires they don't do snow. In fact, with their summer tread compound they don't even do as well on dry pavement when it is cold (they're safe, just not nearly as fast -- see the "bunny hop" thread in the C6 Z06 sub-forum).

As to rain, the car will hydroplane more easily than some but if you are a prudent driver you should have no issues there. You can shift to aftermarket all weather tires if you are concerned about rain and slush, too, although you give up some drive weather performance (not much but a bit). If you go with aftermarket high-performance tires you may have a concern in rain. I run drag radials on both my Chevies, and either of them will hydroplane on a film of water (I'm not kidding - even 20 mph on a straight, wet,road can be exciting in either of them).

Old 08-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Default RE: Inclimate weather

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

Well, on the stock tires they don't do snow. In fact, with their summer tread compound they don't even do as well on dry pavement when it is cold (they're safe, just not nearly as fast -- see the "bunny hop" thread in the C6 Z06 sub-forum).

As to rain, the car will hydroplane more easily than some but if you are a prudent driver you should have no issues there. You can shift to aftermarket all weather tires if you are concerned about rain and slush, too, although you give up some drive weather performance (not much but a bit). If you go with aftermarket high-performance tires you may have a concern in rain. I run drag radials on both my Chevies, and either of them will hydroplane on a film of water (I'm not kidding - even 20 mph on a straight, wet,road can be exciting in either of them).
i cant think of a thing to add,lee has said it all