Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

Navigation: Did I make a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Default Navigation: Did I make a mistake?

When I purchased my Vette brand new.... I had every option except for the Chrome Rims (I have the polished), and the Navigation (I have the Bose system w/ indash 6 changer...). I really wish I had added the GM Navigation Unit... I spent 2 hrs at the parts department with the manager there... he could not find out for his life any part #'s... Or any "ball park" figures of what it would cost to add the navigation unit!

1) Is this an easy swap?? Or should I stay away from this?? His last words... "Maybe you know a good audio place and they can do it up right..." --Those comments after plunking down my Mustang in on trade+cash was not easing to my heart.

2) I have a 2006; not sure if that changes part #s?? All I need is the unit, antenna, and disc--correct? Does anybody know what part #'s I need for this conversion?? Should I not bother?? I figured if I can bring in GM Part numbers.. we can limit the conversion to a bare minimum!

I felt confident when I woke up; now as I am about to sleep... I might as well have spoken German to the guy... Because we were NOT on the same page. Any and ALL help is greatly appreciated..

Thanks.
Jay

Old 11-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Default RE: Navigation: Did I make a mistake?

I imagine it is one of those things that is quite easy to do at the factory but damn difficult to do well at a dealer or shop. Although one can easily guess at the big components needed (the antenna, the unit and CD player, etc., unless GM has a "kit" (all the parts, instructions) it would be very difficult for anyone to find all the little fittings, etc. that need to be installed and all the tiny things that need to be re-postionined, etc. - quite likely the unit has different under the dash wiring harnesses, clamps, and maybe other items in the dash are re-routed, etc. Some of the changes might be subtle and easy to miss, such as just a change in fuse size int he wiring system, etc., that is required to make it work well, all the time. I imagine it would be quite a job, tie up your car for some time while it was being done, and have a fair chance of not working out well, regardless.

There are fairly good aftermarket Nav units that you might want to look at as an alternative.

Old 11-12-2006, 05:50 AM

I am in the same boat as you. I recently bought a 2007 with 6-disc in dash changer and would rather have had the navigation unit, but for the deal I got on my car I couldn't pass on it. A new chevy stock navigation unit is in the $2000 range (way too much in my opinion for that unit) . I would recomend the pioneer avic-z1. For about $200 more you get way more features . Save your stock unit and when it's time to sell your car switch them back. Good Luck.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:55 PM

I agree with the other BigJay
There are plenty of great aftermarket navigation systems out there, and they would look great in your car.
Heck you could even do a little customizing to make it look unique.
Atleast now you will be able to shop around and have a choice which one to buy.