Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

playing mp3

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:34 PM
Default RE: playing mp3

WinLame isn't the greatest encoder to use with Audiograbber. I use Lame encoder (just plain Lame - wonder why they named it that? Hmmm... no matter.) BladeEnc (Blade encoder) also works well, but
I find Lame superior.

As for the system ripping as m4u, mp3, wma, etc. You have to select which you want your software to use - each software has it's own preferred default (some still default to the older mp2 files, which will playon most mp3 players,but have a lower bitrate capability.) Sadly, there is no standard for music files - the best players out there are able to play many of them, but rarely all.

And iTunes..... what can I say? They are hellbent on pulling a "Microsoft" and forcing users to conform to their file types and standards. My wife has an iPod 80Gig, and neither of us is happy with the software that iTunes uses. It's cumbersome, intrusive, and designed for the user who is minimally computer savvy. She was able to figure out how to bypass much of the iTunes-exclusive crap and work with mp3s much more efficiently (and easily) using other programs. Had iTunes been first on the scene, they could have set a standard. However, they're trying to be yet another player in the crowded music file handlingworld.

THAT being said, once I flashed her 'vettes nav/entertainment system with the upgrade, it has been flawless in playing (and displaying) any disc we shove in there. We both feel that there is little to do to improve the system (beyond a little more power, of course), and will leave it as-is. Sorry for those out there who appear to have trouble with it - don't know what to tell you.

Thumper101, you said:
"I should have made my question more clear.My 2006 has the touch screen display with nav.The head unit will play the songs but will not display the name of the song and group that I type in while burning.I can take that same disc into circuit city and put it in any head unit that plays mp3's and it will display what I typed in.I'm very dissatisfied with the factory stereo. "

The system in the Corvette doesn't read the file name, but the encoded mp3 file data "in" the file. There's a difference here - the name of the file can be different than the music info (ie artist, track name,etc) that the file actually contains in its data blocks.Players you tried your discs on used the name you gave the files. You did not, however, encode the file info into the file, and the Corvette's nav/entertainment system is only listingwhat is can see there.In Windows Explorer, right click on the music file, click Properties, Summary, then Advanced. This is the place where the fileinfo is listed, which the car's player sees. If it's missing or wrong, that's what you'll see.And ifyou can't open thisup at all, you have a partially or completely corrupt music file that may play, but doesn't contain theencoded music file information data blocks. (This happens on older ripping software, mostly).

To testmp3 files (to see what theCorvette system willread out on the display), play the mp3 file in Winamp on your PC, and what you see scrolling across the display will be what your car will show. If it says "unknown"your car's display will be blank with that file. If info there is wrong, that's what the car will show when playing it.

Everyone takes a while to catch on, and it's not all that hard once you see it done right. We just need to figure out where you're at and guide you to choosing the software and methods that suit your needs best.

Happy New Year.

'rider.

Old 12-31-2006, 08:38 PM

Yep, good point on Lame XXrider. I didn't give that info because it's a bit more complicated to set up, especially if you plan on doing command line encoding.

You've got my interest perked on the flashing of your wife's nav. How did you do the flash? I don't see any connection ports to plug in an external device. Did the flash also allow your wife to enter destinations while the car is moving?

Old 01-03-2007, 11:05 PM

Forgot a very important fact about iTunes. It will record AAC format unless you force it to function in MP3. Having said that I kept wondering while burnig MP3 CD's why I couldn't see certain artists. Then I realized that you can force the conversion to MP3 by sorting on the "Kind" column; selecting all the AAC file and right clicking. This will show you the "Convert to MP3" option. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:26 AM

Yup, had to figure that one out the hard way. Thanks anyway Pierre!