Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

Sad Day at the strip

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Default Sad Day at the strip

I drove my brother's 05 vette to the strip today and wasnt planning on running it but you all know what peer pressure does to you. So I took it up there and as soon as I brake torqued it to clean off the tires, the axle broke. Is this a common problem with these vettes? The tires didnt even spin and it broke. Also 2 other of my friends broke their rearend on their f-bodys and another person broke thier axle on their neon. How much would it cost to fix it? The car is sitting at gm now and I know thier going to charge me a lot of money for labor.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:19 AM

Rear end problems seem to plague GM LS V8s. It's very common with the F-body although easy and routine to fix. On the 'vette it is usually the half shaft that goes. As you add more and more torque with mods, eventually the differential itself can't take the power: they make heavy duty innnards and a "girdle" that reinforced the case itself.

Still, if the 'vette was stock, and you were not running drag slicks, at the time I am surprised the car broke like this, even if you were at the strip, and I'd think it fiar to insist it be repaired under warranty (if still covered). If under warranty and if you can finese not bringing up that it broke at the strip, I'd claim it just popped at a red light and try to get it fixed by GM: it's a 'vette, after all, and its not like GM does know the car's built in performance will be used.

The cost to repair the rear end will depend on just what broke. Very likely it is the half-shaft alone, and that will run maybe a grand parts and labor, plus of minus anything else it took out. If you have the time and inclination, you can get a hardened, heavy duty half shaft from Lingenfelter for about $370, I think. Same labor cost. Next time it won't break (its tough enough that it will rupture the case and destroy the whole differential, which is what will happennext if too much torque goes through it, but that typically does not happen 'till about 650+ foot pounds.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:09 PM

That sucks to hear. Were you on street tires? It seems odd that one would break while on street tires.

Track must have had some hook!