Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 12:15 AM
Default tires

I have a C-6 with 19,000 miles. My rear tires wore fairly even and I replaced them.
My front tires have plenty of tread left except for 1 1/2 inch on the inside of each tire. They are almost showing threads.
I am real pissed because this was hard to notice, the car drove great., I don't know why this happened. Was this a mistake made at the factory or defect or what.
Will warranty cover this?

Has anyone else had this problem?

I am taking the car to dealer Monday for alignment check and am concerned about what they will say. Then I will have to buy new tires.

Regards
DB

Old 09-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Default RE: tires

Well, you clearly have an alignment problem, and it seems to me that the car was aligned that way deliberately because you say both tires wore about equally. I am had a similar experience on the rear of my Porsche, except the rear tires did wear to the steel belts, and in only 3000 miles! My dealer replaced them at no charge and offered a free re-alignment (but I paid an independent shop to re-align it instead).

You could make your case to the dealer but I would not expect much satsifaction as far as getitng new tires in your case. My experience with high-performance tires on car like these is that you get around 20,000-25,000 miles to a set, no more., so the dealer will probably argue that you got most of the value and that this problem happened after it left their dealership.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:09 AM

I have a C6 & recently signed up for monthly email diagnostics, it was free so I figured why not, it's been bout 3 mos & each month it tells me everything is ok, tells me how much oil life I have left, etc. This month there was a recommended action to check tires & rotation...the car has 5300 miles on it, says they recommend this being done at 5000 miles. I'm taking it tomorrow for vert top problems so I plan to have it checked then.

Old 09-29-2006, 03:33 PM

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
What kind of service is this and how does it work? Do you have to take car in?

Old 09-29-2006, 06:23 PM

they gave me the info when I purchased car last Oct but I didn't do it then, months later while on the line with onstar they asked me & I gave em my email, started receiving them after that. It's a monthly diagnostic, that actually gives exact miles on car, what % of oil life is left, other fluid levels & any other info. To be honest with you, I deleted the email, so I'm not sure who it's even from...I'll post after the next one or contact onstar & ask them about it.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:01 PM

I see but all of that stuff you can do yourself I hope they don't charge you extra for this?

Old 09-30-2006, 12:47 AM

nope no charge, it's free otherwise I wouldn't have done it.

Old 10-05-2006, 01:16 AM

This is part of the Onstar service. This was a $695 item on the list price of the car.

I really hope Onstar isn't recommending a 'rotation' of the tires on a Corvette. Since the front and rear tires are different sizes, and the left and right tires are designed for only one direction of rotation, the tires cannot be rotated.

In other words, each corner of your car has a unique tire on it.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:52 PM

You clearly have a problem which could be alighnment. The real problem is whether or not it is correctable.
Let me explain. First of all I was a front end mechanic for 12 years so I do have some backround on this.
The problem can be possibly be one of several things. The first can be front tires toed too far in or out. This is probably the most likely cause. The second problem could be camber adjustment too far negative or positive. The third cause could be that both tires have slipped belts in them which is a tire defect. Defective belts usually only affect one tire but I have seen multiple tires with slipped belts. Keep in mind that if you have altered the suspension or changed tire sizes from stock you have probably aggravated the problem. In my experience cars which have wider than stock tires added to the front will cause tire wear on the inner or outer edges depending on how much alteration was done. That is why it is so important to realign the front end after tire modifications have been done. By the time you realize there is a tire wear problem, you have ruined a set of tires. If your car is completley stock, you may also want to check for front end damage such as bent or worn out tie rod ends bad bushings or bent control arms. another cause is driving habits more aggressive cornering can add to the problem. Last but not least depending on the width of the tire and how much adjustment there is in the front end, we start getting into the scrub angle of your tire and where it should be and it is probably more info than you really need but you may have to live with the fact that the tire mileage you are getting is normal. I have a C6 myself with only 4300 miles on it but I will certainly keep an eye on the front tires from here on out. Ihope this helps you understand the problem and find a fix. Thanks