Lighter than stock rims that will hold drag radials

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Default Lighter than stock rims that will hold drag radials

I am looking to replace my stock wheels with ones that are black for my orange Z06. I would like to find some that are lighter than stock. I would also like to run drag radials on a set of the rears as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Default RE: Lighter than stock rims that will hold drag radials

I bought mine from Lingenfelter.They sell Fikse, HRE, Forgeline and maybe one other premium brand, OZ I think.

I got Fikse Profil 5S, 18 inch diameter and 13 inch width wheels for the rear of mine. Fikse is as good as they get but not really any better than HRE or OZEach one is billet forged and machined and indidivually serial numbered. Fikses are three-piece designs but have the bolts on the inside instead of the outside -- they look cleaner, etc. They are slightly lighter than the stock which is remarkable considering their larger size.

Wheels of that size, strength, and weight cost about $1100-$1300 each. Delivery sometimes takes several weeks as they (at least the Fikses) really are custom made.

I run 345 x25-18 BFG drag radials-- at the time I bought (about two years ago) there were no 19 inch drag radials on the market so I went with 18s --frankly you want as big a sidewall as you can get anyway to give you some wind up like racing slicks.To my knowledge 345 is the widest made.

By the way, I run these tires all the time -- when I drive it to work, etc. --no use driving the car unless it can put its power to the ground and these do better than any other street tires (although the car will still break the tires loose in 1st, 2nd and third gear with power alone, no dropped clutch). You absolutely can't drive the car on wet roads (it will hydroplane on a film of moisture, and I get only4000 miles to a set -- and I do not burn rubber or run that much at the track.

You need to check the maximum width wheel and tire you can run on a stock C6ZO6 - Lingenfelter's tech help line will know what fits and what doesn't. I tubbed the wheel wells on mine so I can fit anything up to 375 if there is ever anything made that wide.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:56 AM

are they lighter

Old 05-05-2007, 06:45 PM

We weighed them against the old (which were pretty light, actually - ZO6 factory stock is no too bad). The Fikse's with the drag radials were a pound heavier than stock, but realize they were two inches wider.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:23 PM

I am looking for a way to get better 60' times. My best so far is a 1.94. I got the car down to 11:82 at 119. I believe there is quite a bit more since I wasn't power shifting and I had such a crappy 60' time.

Any launch ideas out there let me know.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:55 AM

1) You can put drag radials on the stock wheels. This would help a good deal.
2) Then practice the launch. Try a pretty quick clutch drop at 2500 RPM and easing into the throttle in about half a second rather than just mashing it. This works well on my car, although yours could be quite different -- you just have to experiment.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:00 PM

Who makes a 19" drag radial? If you have a link hook me up!

Old 06-14-2007, 02:01 PM

I'm having the same dilemma. I have a 2006 Z06 with LT headers, Vararam intake, and full corsa exhaust. I went to the track and I just couldn't hook up.

Does anyone have ideas for maybe 17"-18" rims just for drag radials? I'm thinking I would go with 345s, because I THINK that's the widest that would fit.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:26 PM

A lot of folks run smaller-than-stock diameter wheels with drag radials, and of course, if you run pure racing slicks, you usually go with 15" or thereabouts diameter (don't fit every 'vette). Remember thant sidewall width helps in a drag radial or slick -- that, and the fact that at the time I bought (maybe still) there were no 19" drag radials made, is why I went with 18" diamter all around.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:13 AM

Yeah, I would be into an 18" wheel that looked stock for the rear; however, everything I find is only 8.5 - 9.5 wide. I really want to be able to put some meat back there.