Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

Can Manual be faster than Auto in a drag? (c6)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Default Can Manual be faster than Auto in a drag? (c6)

I figure I'd ask you guys, which one would be faster on the straightaway? (assuming both people knew what they were doing)

Old 05-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Default RE: Can Manual be faster than Auto in a drag? (c6)

Oh yeah, it usuallythe manula version is noticeable fasterif the car is stock or anything close. For example my Porsche (5 speed automatic) is about 2 to 3 tenths slowerin the quarter mile than the 6-speed manual version of the same car. A 6-speed (or a seven-speed for that matter) automatic wouldn't help it, either.

1) Automatics generally absorb more power than a manual, so less gets to the ground. A manual or automatic C6 will have the same HP at the flywheel but the auto generally delivers 10-12 HP (about 3% less) when measured at the rear wheels - may not seem like much but folks will spend a bundle of money on a good cat back exhaust to get that much HP gain.
2) Unless they are modified to have a high 'stall speed' for drag racing, automatics launch at too low an RPM are thus are slow compared to a good take-off with a manual.
3) Automatics may shift faster than a manual will shift (particularly if modified for racing) but they never make up for the two deficits above.
Exceptions are:
1) turbocharged engines, which fall off boost and have a bit of lag getting back on with a manual shift. For exmaple the new Porsche Turbo is faster off the line and up through the gears with the automatic five speed than with a manual six speed for this reason.
2) really powerful modded cars - no one tries to drag race 1000 HP Corvettes with a manual (well, okay, no dobut someone tries, but they don't win often). At that power level the automatics "slower" launch is actually just "smoother" -- less wheelspin, etc.

Also note that more and more cars have a sequential automatic manual transmission -- an automatic which is really a manual transwith clutch and shifter operatedeletronically ('vettes don't have them, the next model Porsches will, some BMWs do already, Ferraris have for years, etc). These are the fastest of all, beating both a normal manual and an automatic. Lowest price car with this that I know of is, I believe, the new Mitsi Evo that is about to come out.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:33 AM

If you get enough horsepower, it dont matter.Sticks are still COOLER to drive than autos though.[8D]

Old 05-02-2007, 12:41 AM

Thanks for the fantastic explanation Lee, great and helpful as usual.

And hey black86, I totally agree with you. [8D]