New Z06 owner needing advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 10:46 PM
Default New Z06 owner needing advice

Vette Nation,

I'm fairly new to Corvettes and bought my first one in November '07 ('07 black on black power top convertible, auto w/ paddle shifters,z51 package, and 2LZ interior). Well I was about to drop some dough on Kooks headers, X-over pipe, and Corsa Sport exhaust, Veraram Intake, professional tuning by a shop out of Pearland, TX, and a date with the dyno machine.
After crunching all the numbers and hearing about 0% GMAC's offering on all '08 Vettes I went down to the dealership to see about using the money on the above mentioned upgrades to get a new Vette instead. I test drove an '08 Z06 and needless to say I am a new Z06 owner
What a machine!
I actually was able to get an amazing deal on an '09 Z06, so I am the proud owner of a black '09 Z06 with 3LZ interior. I have a few questions that I have not been able to locate the answers on just yet and I also wanted to see about some advice.

1. Tunable Exhaust...? Can only find info on the '08's. Can someone point me in the right direction here? I also read some reviews that say the only thing they would improve would be a beefier exhaust, i.e. Kooks headers, X-over, and Corsa Exhaust...sigh...will have to waitfor that upgrade.
2. Shift limiter 1-4 gear. The manual states that when starting in 1st gear you are forced to hit 4th gear before you make another gear selection. I have seen some kits that eliminate that forced shift. I have never owned a stick before but learned how years back on a family ranch on an old 3 on the tree Ford pickup. Any comments on the above forced gear shift question and/or advice on "do's" and "dont's" for a new stick driver? For example is it okay for me to start in 2nd gear most of the time?
3. Front Auxiliary Input Jack. Can this take an MP3 player I assume? Ipod or normal MP3 player?
4. I live in Austin, TX. Anyone know of a good shop around to have the car professionally tuned or is this not necessary on the Z06?
5. The '07 intro video states to breakin the motor for 500 miles. I have also heard these motors come from the factory ready to go. What is the best advice to preserve the engine?

Sorry for the length and thank you in advance Vette Nation! I pick her up tomorrow!!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Default RE: New Z06 owner needing advice

1) The ZO6 comes standard with the automatic cutouts that open a pipe around most of the muffler system at higher power settings to reduce backpressure (it's an option on the standard models). This provides a "quiet" exhaust around town and on the highway but gives a bit more power and good sound at WOT. You can keep the stock exhaust and put on headers (it works fine and you keep this feature and gain about 22-25 RWHP) and the gain of any cat back is miniscule compared to this factory.

2) You can buy an iCAGS (interupt Computer Aided Gear Shift)for about $30 and install it in ten minutes (but you have to get under he car) and it will stop the shifter fromdoing this.

3) Don't know. Would assume you are correct.
4) My two oldest sons live in Austin, I'll ask them.
5) Engines come pretty well machined tight from the factory, but it never hurts to take it easy for the first 1000 miles or so, partly because you are learning to car.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Default RE: New Z06 owner needing advice

Hi
I purchased the kit to remove the skip shift feature. later on
i took the car in for tuner work, and when i picked the car
up, was handed the adapter back! the tuner simply turned
the skip shift feature off in the computer! So, if you are to
pay a tuner, don't waste the 30 bucks for the eliminator.
A good tuner can handle the problem, during the tune.
Ray