New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

newbie needing advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 02:20 AM
Default newbie needing advice

Hello all!! I just inherited a 73 stingray and was wondering about reasonable restoration estimates. Im in Virginia. The car has been garage kept for the past sixteen years. Is a body off restoration worth the money? Im finding prices ranging for 8000 to 17000 for restoration.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: newbie needing advice

Welcome to CF!
How way cool, a '73 C3![sm=icon_rock.gif]
That's a hard question to answer.
Is it worth it to you? You can put as much money as you want into 'er, depending on just what all you want to do.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:31 AM

If you are going to show it, or have a real type-A personality thing going on... you can spend double your estimates easily. If you are planning on driving it and enjoying it rather than making a trailer queen out of it, just fix what is broken. You will likely spend a nice chunk of change just getting it and keeping it on the road.

It is all what you want to do with it.

bill.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Other factors to concider, what kind of shape is it in now?
Being garaged for 16 yrs, was it driven or tucked away?
If you're in it for the money, you probably won't get your money out of it after the restore.
My C3 was one step from the wrecking yard, but my life long desire (46 yrs) to own a Vette, saved 'er from that fate.
She didn't have the original engine, so restoring a numbers correct car was out of the question. The sky is the limit now, as to what I will do to, or with 'er. I want to build a real head turner that "Goes Like Hell".
I paid $3000 and have put another $4000 in 'er, and I'm just gettin' started. I couldn't put a price on the "Starship"! I'm expecting this to be a life long labor of love. If others don't like 'er, so what, I'm buildin' 'er for ME!!!

You only go around once, why not go around in a Vette?[sm=icon_rock.gif]

As I mentioned before, Is it worth it to you?
If it is, enjoy your new baby! If not, sell it, and move on.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:11 PM

I had my 72 in the barn for 16 years and just started my restoration. I had the engine & trans rebuilt before parking it but never did anything with it. Needless to say they both had to be redone to ensure I wouldn't have any problems. As far as the money I am now at about $45,000.00 and near completion. I am going to show it a few times and then drive her. If you are serious about getting her into top condition be prepared to spend alot of cash. Had I known everything that needed to be replaced or rebuilt I would have postponed it a bit longer. Anyway it is well worth it either way you go!!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2006, 10:00 PM

Hello!!My name is Joe,welcome!!I think maybe,if you can,enjoy your car as is,unless there's something seriously wrong with it.Are you sure it needs to be restored?Can you SAFELY drive and enjoy it?In other words,it is entirely up to you what you would like to do to your car.Sometimes,we may not need such a radical step,especially if our funds are limited,but maybe you can,if necessary,make all the necessary repairs to make your Stingray safe and road-worthy.Remember,all Vettes are meant to be driven and enjoyed!!!No matter what year or condition,enjoy!!!!Good luck and God Bless; Joe

Old 12-03-2006, 12:56 AM

Hello c3 starship!! Thanks for the reply. It is worth a lot to me because I waited 21 years for my father to give it to me. It was the first car I ever drove (at the age of seven, sitting on my father's lap!!) and I have been in love with vettes every since.

Old 12-03-2006, 12:57 AM

Thanks to all for the info and honest opinions

Old 12-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: bubs_kid51

Hello c3 starship!! Thanks for the reply. It is worth a lot to me because I waited 21 years for my father to give it to me. It was the first car I ever drove (at the age of seven, sitting on my father's lap!!) and I have been in love with vettes every since.
You just answered your own question! I'm sentimental too. I have a '86 F 250 that was passed down to me, I'll prob have it forever.
What a great memory you have, to go with your Vette! Keep it, Love it, and enjoy it![sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 12-09-2006, 09:08 PM

WELCOME TO THE SITE