WARNING COVETTE OWNERS!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Default WARNING COVETTE OWNERS!!

I recently had posted how I bought my first corvette last week. Well, were do I start... I'm 20 years old and have saved my whole life, every nickle and dime, for a corvette. After saving the majority of my life, I finally had enough cash to buy one, an prestine 03 50th Aniv. Quicksilver Z06. Now the sad part... Over the weekend, I went downtown (Sacramento) to Makuni's Sushi. As I pull up, I see 2 new Farrari's parked in front next to the valet. So, I valet my car as well. The next day, I go out to my car and I see curb rash on my left front + rear wheels. Keep in mind I have only had this car a week, only put 100 miles on it, and have NEVER parked it close to ANY curb. I still have the valet ticket, which has the persons signature as well as where it was parked, which should indicate that it was an end spot. I am frustrated, as you can believe. Try to put yourself in my shoes. Its easy to say after the fact... "why would you valet your car"? Is it common knowledge not to valet your car? Seeing Ferrari's and Lamborghini's, you would think that a valet service could park cars correctly. Is that too much to expect? What would you do? How much is it for new Z06 wheels(silver)? Anyone out there had a similiar experience? I know they have insurance.(small claims court?? or am i screwed?) So, my warning to you is... NEVER valet your car.

Thanks for letting me vent my anger, I just don't have a lot of money anymore. PLEASE HELP ME OUT!! ANY INFO/COMMENTS or even words of encouragement at this point would help.

Thank you, DEVIN

Old 08-07-2007, 01:22 AM
Default RE: WARNING COVETTE OWNERS!!

Wow, thats scary, I'd be mad too. I'd go back and fight.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:56 AM

Sorry, you have had such a problem, but it's a pretty good idea that, if the car is important to you, you don't valet it. On the other hand, I do all the time with the Porsche and have never had any problems. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Yeah, you could go to court, you might win, you might not. Valet tickets normally absolve them of any blame (see the fine print) but that often doesn't mean much in court. Still, it would behassle.

You can get wheels re-finished and fixed for curb rash - look around. And luckily ZO6 wheels are among the least expensive with lots of aftermarket sources.

But overall, I know you are tight for money now and believe me, that is the true lesson here: things like this happen all the time and it's most comfortable not to buy a car like a 'vette until you are in a situation where things like this won't even show on your financial radar screen.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:54 PM

thanks for the advice!

Old 08-08-2007, 04:52 AM

The problem you are going to run into is trying to prove they are the ones that did it, because they are just going to say that it could of happen before of after you had your car with them.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:53 PM

Yea I agree. However, on the valet tag on my keys, it says it was parked in X-1. I'm going to assume the "1" would be an end spot; therefore having a cement curb on the left-hand side. Also on the valet tag there is a generic picture of a car and the valet person is required to mark an "x" on any areas of damage. The picture did not have any "x" marks. I hope that if I tell the manager that I will go to small claims court, he will be more inclined to settle. As of right now the manager is doing an "investigation."

Old 12-26-2007, 01:38 PM

Well, Devin, unfortunately you learned a life lesson the hard way.

As much as I know you love your baby, you should have started out with something more like a beater. Everyone with a sports car they care about has a beater they use for winter commuting, trips to the grocery store, etc. I have two sports cars (86 944 Turbo, 2000 Trans Am vert) and my Jeep is my beater, I don't care if it gets dinged. You need a car that can take one for the team when needed.

The sad fact is that not all people appreciate cool cars, and some people will hate you for having one. Most are oblivious and will run shopping carts into them, ding your doors, etc. Always park alone and at the last spot of an aisle, with your driver door facing the rest of the aisle (statistically, if someone parks next to you they are likely to park head-first with no passenger, thus you are minimizing the chances of a door ding). Don't park diagonally, people will key your car and put sugar in your tank.

Don't go to carwashes, they are rough on the paint and can scratch -- sometimes even break something. Always hand wash your baby.

Don't ever, EVER trust valets. The schmucks with Lamborghinis and Ferraris don't love their cars the way you do, they are likely (a) so rich and they will turn it over in 6 months, or (b) are inheritence cases who don't give a **** and it's a status symbol. Even if I had a Ferrari F430 I'd show up with a 10 year old Jeep. The valets are lucky if they can drive stick, and most of them are not car guys and will not treat a nice car special. They're usually high school kids working for minimum wage who are bitching about having to stand outside all day and you're just one of the dicks who eats at the expensive restaurant who they hate. As much as it makes you look like an obsessive deuche bag and your girlfriend will hate walking, park yourself.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:49 AM

Just think of the valet attendent, He probably had a terible night.

Not to many attendents have any idea how to drive a high performance car. Its not like they are trained in every operators manual. Never leave your performance car with valet. I watched an attendent spend 10 minutes looking over a paddle shifter 355F1 an owner left withthe attendent.The attendentfinally just left it, and closed down the valet lane and move his booth so he could continue to park cars.

Know who is getting into your car, and ask yourself this question: Can they learn how to drivemy car in 10 seconds?

Old 01-14-2008, 12:09 PM

Hello,

First, demand that the valet owner/company pay for the damage. When they don't, visit the BBB (www.bbb.org) and file a complaint. You have to locate the company first, IIRC, and then file the complaint. If the valet company doesn't come up (assuming the valet is a service contracted by the Sushi place), then try the Sushi place. BTW, don't demand that they refinish the wheels (will be impossible to get the marks out and apply a paint job sufficient to suit an average Corvette purchaser)... ask for replacement. In the end, you may reach a compromise and at least get some compensation for the damage.

In my experience, most businesses (yes, even banks and insurance companies) respect the BBB and will respond immediately to their demands.

Good luck,
Bryan